HDCAM-SR Telecine in Vancouver BC

Guest tylerhawes

Guest tylerhawes

We're doing the DI/VFX and post supervision for a film shooting in Vancouver just a few weeks from now. I'm looking for a film lab and telecine service locally in BC (edit and post will come back here to LA). We need to go 4:4:4 to HDCAM-SR.

Can someone recommend a facility for us to talk to?

Deluxe/Rainmaker post also does it. Technicolor uses a Spirit, Deluxe a DSX Cintel.

Hi David,

Just curious what type of workflow you guys are using on Jennifer's Body. I'm assuming you guys will be doing a full DI, where does HD CAM SR come into the equation? Is it for dailies or something?

Hi David,

Just curious what type of workflow you guys are using on Jennifer's Body. I'm assuming you guys will be doing a full DI, where does HD CAM SR come into the equation? Is it for dailies or something?

It is very common to do feature dailies to HDCam SR these days. These recordings are not normally used for a DI, but they are used for previews, which are typically put together "video style" from the dailies by doing an online assembly and tape to tape color correction. In some cases, editorial is done in an HD format, usually by using DNxHD files on an Avid (the vast bulk of studio features are cut on Avid equipment) or DVCPro or ProRes on a Final Cut system, and the preview is generated directly from that. However, this is not as common as you might think.

That's very interesting! Thanks for the clarifaction.

I've recently posted my last two 16mm films in HD CAM SR, using the format as a DI. It's been an exciting and at times, expensive process even though post houses have given me a ton of slack.

Amazing that this format is used just as a base for previews on big features.