It's a sad shame

Guest Josh Gannon

Guest Josh Gannon
Well then put your money where your mouth is. Add it. Post it. It won't cost you anything. What are you waiting for?

Keith I tried to start a informative topic on the role of the D.I.T a few months back and guess what. 4 replies. none of them adding any information. no one really cared because the topic wasn't antagonistic enough.

But when I post what I did yesterday all of a sudden everybody wants a piece of the action.

I do have a lot to loose because the information and experience that I have is how I make a living.

If you want to see and test the red camera properly just give me a call. I'll organize it for you.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Josh Gannon

As for hard evidence on these camera's in production. . There are currently a few TVC's on free to air television at the moment that where shot on red. can you pick which ones they are?

When it comes to Music Video's and particularly TVC's Red camera's are brilliant. When agency people can view full res rushes on set they are stoked. They can see exactly what they are getting and it usually shuts them up and keeps them out of the Directors / DOP's ear.

As far as I'm concerned unless you people have shot on a Red and gotten a little bit of experience with what is and isn't possible then WHY ARE YOU POSTING. if you haven't used the thing then don't comment on it. FFS.

• Premium Member
Keith I tried to start a informative topic on the role of the D.I.T a few months back and guess what. 4 replies. none of them adding any information. no one really cared because the topic wasn't antagonistic enough.

But when I post what I did yesterday all of a sudden everybody wants a piece of the action.

I do have a lot to loose because the information and experience that I have is how I make a living.

Ahem, THIS is what you wrote:

I have just returned to these forums after a couple of months absents to find the same old crap being thrown around these forums.

I have been using Reds successfully for 6 months now and I know all the good points and bad points but no one seems to care, people are more interested in arguing. like it or not these cameras have pushed there way into the market and are here to stay for the time being.

Please people.... can we end this bullshit and start talking about what we can and can't do with this camera without every topic ending in the same old argument.

No need to reply Jim. I'm sick of the propaganda, I'm pretty sure I know your cameras better then you do.

Hardly surprising people want a piece of you.

As for arranging a test of the RED, not if it's from the company I am thinking of, thank you.

As it happens, I have already made alternative arrangements.

• Premium Member
As for hard evidence on these camera's in production. . There are currently a few TVC's on free to air television at the moment that where shot on red. can you pick which ones they are?

What does that mean?

There are quite a few absolute garbage quality commercials on the air at the moment, and quite a lot with stunning image quality.

So which ones were shot on RED?

Guest Josh Gannon

As for arranging a test of the RED, not if it's from the company I am thinking of, thank you.

As it happens, I have already made alternative arrangements.

What company are talking about Kieth? :rolleyes:

I haven't work for said company for a while now.

I don't work for anybody, I'm an independent freelancer.

Guest Josh Gannon
What does that mean?

There are quite a few absolute garbage quality commercials on the air at the moment, and quite a lot with stunning image quality.

That is exactly the point! I'd be completely surprised if anyone could sit down during a commercial break and tell me exactly what each one is shot on. (Digi beta and low end HD is easy to spot but what about the difference between 35mm, High end HD and RED aren't so easy to pick on HD television)

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you Kieth.

I didn't say anybody want a piece of me. I was trying to point out that the informative topics don't get the response that an antagonistic post get and I truly think that this is a shame.

What does that mean?

Why are you so interested in what other people do with RED?

Why don't you leave your clown part as last reincarnation of Jim Murdoch...

and go post where you feel less bored...

...and depressed?

• Premium Member
I tried to start a informative topic on the role of the D.I.T a few months back and guess what. 4 replies.

Sorry to have missed that. My opinion is that the DIT job is basically the same thing as the "Color Consultant" job of the 1920's and early 1930's. It'll disappear when the technology matures.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
That is exactly the point! I'd be completely surprised if anyone could sit down during a commercial break and tell me exactly what each one is shot on. (Digi beta and low end HD is easy to spot but what about the difference between 35mm, High end HD and RED aren't so easy to pick on HD television)

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you Kieth.

I didn't say anybody want a piece of me. I was trying to point out that the informative topics don't get the response that an antagonistic post get and I truly think that this is a shame.

Apart from a couple of download links that I already knew about, I don't believe there is single piece of useful information in this entire thread.

• Premium Member
Sorry to have missed that. My opinion is that the DIT job is basically the same thing as the "Color Consultant" job of the 1920's and early 1930's. It'll disappear when the technology matures.

-- J.S.

This is the thread.

He was actually asked for more information but never responded.

Guest Josh Gannon

Your absolutely right Kieth.

So if that is the end of all the crap then we can begin.

John, My thread is still on the forums on page two. You are right, a DIT is a colour consultant, and a camera technicain, and a camera assistant, and a data wrangler.

That's what I do on set anyway. I have done several commercials where I have been the only CA on set and have to do everything from pulling focus to setting up the split. It's hard work but it is doable.

Emanuel, I agree with you, It's just a camera. It works. it has it's usefulness and most importantly the average audience at home watching the pictures doesn't give a poop what it's shot on. I have said it before and I will repeat myself. Every production has different needs and expectations, If the Red can fit in with what is required by the production to get the result the production requires, why not use it. It can save a hell of a lot of money.

Robert, I find that the red responds quite well under tungsten lighting. But again, you have to watch your highlights because once your white blows out it is gone forever. I recommend to the DOP's that I work with that they don't take there highlights over 90% IRE. The spot meter function on the camera is quite useful for this.

The camera also works great in low light. The image can get a bit noisy if you push the ASA but the noise looks more like grain rather then typical digital noise. I have shot the camera in all lighting conditions, and as long as everything is lit and exposed correctly, then the images can look fantastic. I firmly believe that it is the DOP that makes great images and not the camera. All one has to do is a good test with the camera to get into there own head what the can do with it and what the restrictions are. but overall if you expose the sensor correctly then you will get a good looking image.

Guest Josh Gannon

What was the information I was asked for.

The only question that was asked of me was off topic and I couldn't respond because in the end I could not get my hands on the final rushes. Therefore I had no further information on the side by side test.

Apart from a couple of download links that I already knew about, I don't believe there is single piece of useful information in this entire thread.

Only considering your circus happenings just for fun, perhaps. But if anyone will add your name to the ignored users list, it will remain helpful though.

• Premium Member
The only question that was asked of me was off topic and I couldn't respond because in the end I could not get my hands on the final rushes. Therefore I had no further information on the side by side test.

Earlier you said:

"Keith I tried to start a informative topic on the role of the D.I.T a few months back and guess what. 4 replies. none of them adding any information. no one really cared because the topic wasn't antagonistic enough."

Nobody really cared because you really didn't give any information.

Guest Josh Gannon
Nobody really cared because you really didn't give any information.

LOL! I consider that just childish.

What do you want to know Kieth? Ask some questions, I'll share with you.

• Premium Member
What do you want to know Kieth? Ask some questions, I'll share with you.

Either:

What commericals currently showing on Australian TV were shot with the RED?

Or: Why won't you tell me what commericals currently showing on Australian TV were shot with the RED?

I have been hanging out to see a real-world RED application for well over a year now, and I am far from being the only one.

Guest Josh Gannon

The current Beijing Olympic games promos on Channel 7 where shot on Red and Phantom v10 (High Speed Only)

I have been hanging out to see a real-world RED application for well over a year now, and I am far from being the only one.

Are you sure? Really sure?

http://www.reduser.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21

There, you can trace online.

http://www.red.com/shot_on_red

There, you can prepare your money for ordering the tickets.

Maybe this can help you handle stress. ;-)

Guest Josh Gannon

There is an Australis ad running right now on 10 during oprah, It's the "you Beauty" ad

As far as I'm concerned unless you people have shot on a Red and gotten a little bit of experience with what is and isn't possible then WHY ARE YOU POSTING. if you haven't used the thing then don't comment on it. FFS.

Perhaps you only received 4 replies because people didn't have anything to say about it or any experience of it. Probably most people on this forum have experienced the way that Red threads degenerate and so thus have an opinion about it. If so then they are doing exactly what you suggest and 4 replies is quite a few. Yes obviously if you step in and start antagonising people it leads to many more replies. Some of them with very little content.

love

Freya

This rather contradicts the point of this thread then doesn't it. You posted something about RED that was about your actual experiences with the camera and received some sensible replies and it didn't degenerate into a silly Red thread. Yes there weren't loads of replies but surely you should care about quality not quantity.

Many people will have experience on the state of RED postings. Few people will have experience with the camera. Thus it seems people are posting what they know about which as you have already suggested would seem to be sensible.

I also don't see it as bad if people ask questions about Red or speculate what it might be like in the absence of other information.

It seems like you could have chosen to post some positive information instead of starting this thread. For example you could have posted a thread telling people about adverts that were made with RED that are running on Australian TV right now which is information that would have been useful but you have now buried it in this thread instead. Even if you received few replies it would have helped with the signal to noise ratio. Instead you started this negative topic which is of course going to lead in a certain direction as you might expect.

love

Freya