Writing off airfare

If you are going from/to the location for the job, yes, definitely. If you have to take additional airfare/rent a car/etc. during shooting as well, you can write that off. If you're just going to visit your aunt, then no. Generally, anything work related can be written off.

But the question begs, what kind of shady production refuses to pay for your airfare? Also, you have to weigh the costs of whether or not it's even worth doing the job if you're spending all of that money -- your own -- to get there.

But the question begs, what kind of shady production refuses to pay for your airfare? Also, you have to weigh the costs of whether or not it's even worth doing the job if you're spending all of that money -- your own -- to get there.

This isn't regarding a particular production, just some information for the future. In the case of relocating (which is likely to happen by the end of the year), I would still like to have the opportunity to work with the great folks I've met here in NY. Now if a Key or DP wants to hire me but the production won't shell out for airfare, then chances are the job will be given to someone else. Knowing I can write off the money spent on airfare definitely sweetens the deal. Of course this would probably be a one-off scenario, but in case the situation should pop up, it'd be a pretty cool option.

Seems to be so. The girlfriend will be finishing up grad school in July and I don't think she's up for enduring many more NYC summers. So she wants to go to Cali - back home to SF, specifically.

Kind of sucks because I was just starting to get the hang of things here and meeting lots of good folks. But LA isn't a bad option for me - a great one if I can convince her to come with. SF to LA is a lot closer than SF to NY. Plus, I'll also have more contacts in LA than I did when I moved out here. And I've got some experience now too.