MECHNICAL DESIGN OF FLUID HEADS

John Harvey

I have searched to no avail on the web for a detailed breakdown in sckematic form of the internal workings of a wet multi disk type of fluid head. Also being a mechanical designer I am fasinated by the feel they produce and would like very much to know intimatly the mechanical design.

Can anyone point me to a link where I might see an exploded or cross section view of this type of fluid head?

thank you all for you replys in advance.

jh :)

• Premium Member

The only detailed schematics or drawings I have ever seen, have been in

different brochures that the manufacturer's print. However just enough detail

to prove their point, why you should buy their product. Not a lot of detail and

information. Maybe you could contact following and see what you can find out.

Maybe if you just want info for self use,design your own personal device,personal

use you can get some info. Try:

Panther, Tele.-+49 89 613 900 01

e-mail, contact@Panther TV

Sachtler, (+1) 516 867 4900

e-mail, sales@sachtlerusa.com

Try ASC also and see if they have plans for self building. Maybe record of pro-

jects that someone worked on. I don't have tele. # handy but www.theasc.com..

I hope info will be helpful to you. I just am sure that somebody out there as tried

to build their own.

Greg Gross,Professional Photographer

Student Cinematographer

• Premium Member

I took an NCE fluid head apart about 30 years ago. They used to leak because there wasn't any kind of seal at all at the top of the pan chamber. Store or ship them on their side, and the glop would run out.

It was real simple, just a big aluminum disk about 1" thick by 4" diameter inside a chamber that left about 0.050" clearance all around the disk. The disk was on a big shaft that had a bearing under the disk and chamber, and extended out the top to support the tilt section. It also had a real simple friction lock, just a screw that pressed down on the top of the disk.

My objective in working on that head was to find some sort of heavy industrial grease that we could use to replace the official NCE glop. Alas, all lubricating greases turned out to lubricate too well, and you get a fluid head that's much too loose.

If you want to play with fluid head making, I'd suggest starting with junk auto parts. The front wheel of a car has good bearings and a proper seal to hold the grease in.

-- J.S.

Thanks for the leads guys and the warm welcome!

The NCE head sounds like it had one drag setting? I have drawn up a multi plate system like a cutch on a motorcycle so far. Infinate drag adjustment.

Yes it is a design exersize right now, time is cheaper than money at the moment.

I'll give them a call and see how helpful they are.

thanks again.

jh :D

The exploded diagrams of such equipment is generally available in the service manuals for such equipment. It's not information generally made public, but you can ask to simply purchase a manual. It may even be available as a .pdf on a hidden website that they can forward you to.

• Premium Member
The NCE head sounds like it had one drag setting?

jh :D

It had what was supposed to be a simple on/off lock, but people used it as a drag adjustment. This would wear and gall the top of the disk, shedding aluminum shavings into the fluid. For fairly large amounts of paper, the NCE might make a nice paperweight. ;-)

-- J.S.

Thank you for the web sites.

I was on an interview with an agent in Holywood yesterday and thought maybe a rental house could let me look at one. Otto Nemenz was just around the corner! So I walked in and got introduced to the Mario who rebuilds all the heads! He was rebuilding a Conner and I got to see EVERYTHING! All the intracacies in person, too cool, also the Sachtler head. It was amazing how little area was needed to produce the drag effect.

The tilt spring adhstment on the Conner was a mind bender, still not sure in my head how they accomplish the feat . The fluid inside was I high visosity silicon so it would be stable in varing temperature conditions. That was a question of mine also.

Then I was intorduced to the lead machinist Sal. Spent another hour with him on all the trick accessories he designs and makes for thier equipment rental.

Big thanks to OTTO NEMETZ of Hollywood. :D :D :D

john harvey

Edited by ACTOR