black ink in cartridge compartment?

Phillip Wood

just shot my first s8 cartridge and when i took it out of the compartment there was some black ink? inside...around the edge of the compartment and a little rubbed on the outside of the cartridge it self.

camera = canon 1014xl-s

film stock = kodak ektachrome 64t

any idea why this is so?

• Premium Member

Sounds like it's urethane foam that has completely disintegrated and turned to goo. Bad urethane looks and acts like soft petroleum tar. Where did the cartridge come from? It takes urethane years to get that bad, it softens and looses its resiliency (springiness) long before it turns to goo.

Where did the cartridge come from?

Don't think it's related to the cartridge. Many cameras had a rubber seal around the edges of the compartment door (to prevent light leakage) and it is common for it to disintegrate like this. You simply have to clean it out with the method Phillip desribed. I have had the same thing happen to some eye-cups - that's a bigger problem.

Rick

• Premium Member

It is indeed the rubber seal framing the compartment door, making it "light-tight". Some S8 camera marques are more prone to experience this than others (same for 16mm gear, BTW), which obviously relates to the type of seal used (thanks for the terminology, Hal). The way the cameras were stored is also coming into play here.

I never experienced this with any gear ever owned or indeed purchased (I must be a picky buyer...), however, at some 2nd hand camera trade fairs, you can see truly disgusting things being offered to you. Some cameras look as if they have been owned by the Swamp Monster itself.

Never ever had that with an eye-cup, though, in either S8, 16 or 35.

Gosh, I hope you noticed the disintegration before putting the cam to your eye, Rick, otherwise...

Some time ago there was a Bolex SBM being sold at ebay that apparently was in a metal bag with swamp like foam. The camera body looked like these ducks after a petroleum boat leak

Bad situation and i would like to hear the comments of the guy who cleaned it.

So the door compartment is a good case. You could diy repair but also i think its not expensive to have it repaired.

Never ever had that with an eye-cup, though, in either S8, 16 or 35.

Gosh, I hope you noticed the disintegration before putting the cam to your eye, Rick, otherwise...

Chinons and GAFs are notorious for this in the eye-piece, and yes, I have had to clean some gunk off my forehead :(

Rick

thanks for the replies.

So after cleaning out the urethane foam, how can i go about stopping possible light leaks?

I have never had any problems. I think they were being overly cautious in their design. Some cameras don't have rubber around the edges. Have fun. Canon 1014 XLS is a great camera (I have the 814).

Rick

thanks for the replies.

So after cleaning out the urethane foam, how can i go about stopping possible light leaks?

there's at least one guy on ebay who sells foam strips with an adhesive backing for this purpose.

I redid the seals on a couple of 1970s canon rangefinders (canonet GIII QL17s) a few years ago; I think the sellers name was 'interslice' but there are probably others.

Alternatively just use black camera tape over the door seals for that 'pro' film look. :huh:

Edited by jacob thomas