Rigging a spacelight

Daniel Wallens

Hi,

We will be shooting in a 2-story hotel room on Sunday, and we will be using a 2k spacelight ("2000w Space Light Package - (2 Head)"). I am going to be rigging it from a menace arm (roughly 14') which will be on a stand (probably low boy crank) on the second story of the room, arming off the balcony and into the center of the main room.

I pretty much have it under control, but is there anything special I should know about the spacelight? There's no official gaffer/electric (besides the DP) on the shoot. What does "2 Head" mean? Is there any preffered/recommended/special/secret way to rig it to the speedrail?

Thanks in advance for any tips :)

2 head refers to two 1000w lamps independently controlled.

Use a real menace arm kit with the rope support. Don't use a 20x frame ear. balance the menace arm closely so the crankstand doesn't bind.

The space light is a pretty easy rig. you might want to run two stingers to it for independent control.

OK, seems pretty straight forward.

Use a real menace arm kit with the rope support.

Of course.

Maybe use an over-under.

Really? (I'm assuming you mean one of the couplers that allows for 2 pieces of speedrail, right?). I mean, I know 14' is a kinda long span, but, for instance, a mole richardson 2K spacelight is only around 15lbs if i remember correctly, and that's with everything on it (skirt). And I think we're just going to be using the silk. I've definitely hung heavier things than that off spans that long (and possibly longer). I will be, of course, ratcheting the points on the menace arm.

Thanks for the replies :)

well, I ordered a 16' piece of pipe, and honestly, I don't know exactly how far from the fulcrum it's going to be (I haven't seen the location or the needs of the space yet). 14' was just a rough guess, so I'll have to wait and see. Might only end up being 8'. But thanks for the suggestion -- I will tell them to have an over-under standing by.

:)