remote head in and out of water

Lisa Wiegand

I want to do a shot of a competitive swimmer where I have the camera dollying with him underwater and then have the camera move out of the water and end above him as he swims. Is there a remote head and camera housing that will allow me to do this? I know it can be done because I've seen it done in a few films.

Thanks, folks.

Lisa Wiegand

• Premium Member

Like Robert said Chapman has the HydroScope and the HydroHead, the HydroScope is basically Chapman's version of the Techno. They also have a Lenny Arm rigged with counterbalancing weights to compensate for the camera entering and leaving the water.

I was actually chatting to a dolly grip friend of mine when I read your post this morning who has used both systems quite a bit. From what he tells me the problem you're going to have is dollying with the swimmer, he's telling me you'll never be able to dolly fast enough underwater to keep up with swimmer. There is a special rig out there apparently that the guys use who shoot the Olympics.

Seems like you could get reasonably close to your shot using the Hydroscope and panning the arm with him underwater and telescoping out and backpanning as you come out of the water.

Jason at Chapman is the guy you want to talk to about your shot.

Good Luck

Andy

• Premium Member
There is a special rig out there apparently that the guys use who shoot the Olympics.

Good Luck

Andy

The MobyCam is what you're referring to, but it's on rails, so you can't come out of the water with it.

I think the Libra head is waterproof, so a combination of that and a technocrane (or some kind of arm) might do the job as well.

Awesome - thanks guys. I like the hydro-head for this application. My main cameras are Panavision's Genesis cams - and the hydro-head can come with an HD camera head that is cabled to an offboard deck.

An AC buddy of mine who's used the hydro-head a bunch says that it helps to have a burly grip in the pool with the head to help compensate for the resistance when transitioning from under to above water.

The change in weight balance from in the water to out of the water is really enormous, and the big, burly grip would have to be walking on the arm to do any good. Note that the Hydroflex head is an airtight little torpedo; it's very bouyant. Not to do an ad for Chapman, but the hydroscope, with the weights running in front of the fulcrum, is really the way to go.