TVC Commercial

Matt Workman

Hey,

For those who don't frequent the RED forums I thought this last post and clip were worth a viewing, RED friendly or not.

Specs:

RED

Lomo anamorphic lenses 35, 50, 75, 100, 150mm

For close-ups we used 138mm Tiffen diopters

Elite primes 18,20,22,24mm

Shot wide open and specifically chose the older glass to introduce the flare characteristics.

QT File

http://www.redrelay.net/owners/0521/films/..._DK30-H.264.mov

There are some hi-rez stills on the original RED forum post also.

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11535

Very interesting look.

Matt

• Premium Member

Please folks don't post files that are sometimes hundreds of megs in size when nothing is gained in these situations in quality. Reduce the size, you're not squeezing any more info in that movie that a far smaller file at the same size wouldn't show just as well.

Overall, just ok for my tastes. Is this a spec spot? The creative seems weak from an advertising perspective. Technically I'm not a big fan of lens flares especially when they show strange anomalies such as the thin double diopter type lines and in one shot a line right down the middle with the beans on the tree. My ACs would be screaming bloody hell. There are even flares in the shot of the jar alone. Is that deliberate? The look is less film like for my tastes and too much video like. I notice that so many folks are so concerned about DoF and making two planes of focus and all that they forget the other characteristics that give film-like motion picture the truly film aesthetic. I'd add more grain and filtration to soften it up and give it more a film look.

Just a little update, I didn't shoot this project. The "we used" was a quote from the original writer and the bit about the flares was a quick paraphrase.

Also, they used a combo of tobacco and chocolate filters. There is a good 3 pages on the red forum talking about similar issues.

Matt

• Premium Member

It did have a cool look, I just wish it wasn't all overexposed and washed-out looking so I could better see how the camera looks...

Large files don't bother me, I just let it download in the background and come back to it later.

• Premium Member
It did have a cool look, I just wish it wasn't all overexposed and washed-out looking so I could better see how the camera looks...

Large files don't bother me, I just let it download in the background and come back to it later.

okay, now i know i'm going to open myself up to some bashing here, but the last shot in particular (the kitchen one) has a really plasticky cg feel to it, as does the shots of the jars on the conveyer belt. not saying that it is wrong, just that the texture is weird to me. is this a shutter issue? also skin tones do seem creamy - and i dont think it's a grading issue which is also in my opinion not pleasant. then again all this could be compression, but i doubt it. thought the early location shots were nice, but again the grade went in the wrong direction for me. on another note had a look at the thread for this on reduser and am interested by all the calls for anamorphic option to be written in to future software upgrades. from a personal level this would be a really exiting development.