Possible Scammer: Cooke 10.4-52mm super16

Sander Ferdinand

In the search for a good cheap zoom for my old xtr i found this cooke on ebay that was being sold in my country ( The Netherlands ).

eBay view link

I emailed him ( in dutch ) for a price and he replied in english:

from Jim Swerinzer <jimswerinzer@yahoo.de>

Hello ,

The buy now price is 1.500 euro with all the shipping taxess included.The lens is in great condition, has no damage at all. I have worked in Nederland for the last year and I've purchased the lens there,I had to come back home, so currently I'm in United Kingdom (London). I've bring the lens home with me here in United Kingdom.I decided that is better to sell it because I need the money for my personal business.I have 2 free shipping with Gem-Shipping Company (world wide) so you don't have to wory about shipping.I assure you that the lens is in the best working condition and it will suit your requirements.Let me know if you are intrested to buy the lens so i can inform you about the shipping procedure.Reply me in English.

I wait your reply soon.

Best Regards,

Jim Swerinzer

Now, 1.500 euro is pretty cheap for a cooke 10.4-52mm. He says that he lives in the UK. If you haven't noticed it, his email adress is german and the ebay auction is dutch ( The Netherlands ). I found this pretty weird. So i emailed back:

Hi,

I am interested in buying the item alltough i have some questions. Can i see some footage shot with this lens or some other work by you ? Not that i don't know how the lens will perform, but you have 0 % feedback and i will not pay 1500euro's to someone who has a German email adress, lives in England but auctions the item in The Netherlands. Excuse my suspecion, i'm just a little paraniod when it comes to money and internet.

Best of luck,

Sander Ferdinand

I got this back:

Hello again,

I don't have any footage shot on me becouse I am in a bussines trip for the moment. I would like to inform you that i will use an Shipping Company(Gem-Shipping) for delivery and payment,i worked with them before and i was satisfied with their services. I will pay all the fees(shipping taxes). As soon as the lens will be in their custody, they will email you with all the info regarding the shipping status: delivery time,arrival time and Tracking Number to verify the shipping status online on their web site.They will deliver the lens to your door step. After you will receive the invoice from the shipping company, you must send the payment in to one of the Gem-Shipping agent bank account (your money will be protected by the shipping company until you recive and inspected the lens). That agent will handle this transaction for us.They will email you the payment instructions once with the shipping invoice.After they recive the payment confirmation from you they`ll start the shipping to you and in 4 days the lens will arive at your home.

Return policy: After you receive the lens you have 5 working days to inspect it.In this time you`ll check the lens condition and all the lens papers.If you`ll find any problems at the lens you will have to contact the shipping company and they`ll return you your money back and will come to take the lens back.Now if you agree with my terms please send me your full name and shipping address and i`ll go and start the delivery procedure asap.

Thank you for your time.

Gem-Shipping ? So i googled it, came onto this:

http://www.alibaba.com/company/10304376.html

Transportation and trading company, we have own cargo ships, and selling building/construction glass. We can carry your cargoes by sea worldwide, and can offer glass from Russia. Please advise interest in other items for export from Russia.

Product/Service: Transpotation, building glass

Main Markets: Eastern Europe

Eastern Europe ? Right... His name 'Jim Swerinzer' doesn't pop up anything at google. You would atleast expect one reference to his name in a project/website he cooperated with. Also, he makes loads of simple grammar errors. Sure, mine is not great but i don't live in the UK. Things like 'Becouse, Business, an Shipping Company, recive'. I replied:

You seem really suspecious. You have not answered any of my questions and you only seem to care about your 'Gem-Shipping' company wich is located in Eastern Europe ?????

What is the serial number of the lens ?

Where and when and from who did you bought the lens ?

Where can i find information about you or a project that you were involved in ?

I cannot find your name on google, wich is really weird. Your respons is full of easy grammar errors.

You must understand that ill have to report you when i don't get a reply that is based on facts.

Sander Ferdinand

Ofcourse this still is a possible scam, not a definite scam. I just don't want anyone to loose their money on some russian hacker.

Yes great scam.

I was scammed (2500 euro) in ebay. the seller was from Netherlands. the seller was gc makeyourcarier. Be carefull about Netherlands seller that sell movie items and low ratting.

I purchased a Aaton LTR54 and never arrived. when I won the auction i told him that he must send the package insured for full money, and he said that sent the package insured but i never see the camera and my money, so be very suspicious with sellers that sell items very expensive and low ratting.

The sad thing is that the use the name of the Netherlands, but it never is a dutch guy. But, if you guys ever want to get something from a guy from the Netehrlands, give me a pm. I live here all my live and the market isnt that big overhere. So i should know them all.

Regards

Job Scholtze

Netherlands

www.jobscholtze.nl