ultraprime and s4 eith sr3

hello, I have one doubt, ... it is posible to use the ultraprime lenses or s4 with an sr2 or sr3? is this posible? cause you have the eyepiece near the lense mount ... thanks..

I had this issue come up when I called the rental house trying to get a set of lenses. The were skeptical, but the owner of the SR2 tells me that he has put both lenses on his camera no problem (I will find out in two weeks for sure). You will probably want a bridge plate for support though. Cant speak for the SR3.

This is just a guess because I've never tried putting Ultra Primes or S4s on an SR but I have used both lens so am fairly familiar with their form factors. Chris is right, the 416 says it fits Master Primes and the SRs don't so that would rule S4s out since there are similarish in size. Ultra Primes are smaller than S4s so those might work. So, S4s no but you might be able to get Ultra Primes on there. That's just an educated guess though.

Edited by Alex Worster

• Premium Member
Good to know. Nothing trumps real experience.

Ditto. Now I'm curious why Arri would tout the 416's ability to use those lenses when the current standard for S16 already can. :blink:

Ditto. Now I'm curious why Arri would tout the 416's ability to use those lenses when the current standard for S16 already can. :blink:

I haven't tried it but maybe you can't use the Master Primes on a SR3.

And I am guessing Arri's marketing had to provide some reasons for shelling out the money for a new camera.

• 1 month later...

Ultra Primes and Cooke S4's will work on All SR models, including SR3.

Be aware when using the Cookes as the eyepiece clearance is very small (but still clears) and often if the eyepiece is pushed down by the operator, it can move the iris ring.

Most (but not all) UltraPrimes fit; all Cookes fit. But they just barely make it, and it can be a bit awkward to operate since the viewfinder is extrememly limited in position. The Master Primes will not fit. This is all ppart of the redesign in the 416. On a side note, all Aatons, even LTR7 cameras from the 70s will fit with any of these lenses no problem.