Tripod suggestions

Jon Furtado

Hello,

I'm debating buying my first tripod for my Canon XL2 but also want it to last for a bit when i eventually get a basic HD system with 35mm adapter (Panasonic P2 or Sony EX1)

Does anyone have any suggestions on brands? I'm looking at the following:

Vinten Vison 3 Double Stage System

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...um_Tripod.html

Cartoni Cartoni F106 Professional Tripod System

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Tripod.html

I'm trying to make my money go towards the best equiptment for price.

Does anyone know any place that has better pricing than B&H? I just joined the reduser group and want to learn from all of your vast experience pool!

• Premium Member

The models might not work that you are talking about (the links dont work) I'd get something used and heavier to be safe. A new tripod for the kind of situation you are in isn't usually a good idea. You also need to estimate the total weight with the lenses you want to use later on. I'd look at something that can support up to 20lbs if I were you. You might add a monitor and extra battery later which will easily push it up there with another lens. And I doubt you'll learn much from the red group unless you have one of their cameras and need to figure out why it won't boot up or why it shuts off all the sudden. I've never seen such a mess of useless and misleading information.

• Premium Member

Sorry. As far as names to stick to I'd put the easier to find tripods in this order, and this is based a lot of recent research and handling, but is just an opinion:

Libec- which I'd stay away from, Bogen- decent prosumer stuff, then Cartoni, Vinten or Miller, Sachtler and then O'Connor. There are several others but these are the ones most commonly found used. O'Connor is mainly a heavy professional camera head maker but they had one out called a "515" that might be perfect for you. If you can find one of those you'd be the king of DV tripod owners. I saw one recently for $800 used.

Look at B&H's used dept. then start checking other used sources on the net. Too old or worn out and you'll need to have it serviced so keep that in mind. Sachtler seems to be the most commonly found higher end heads that still work well but the prices for new ones are way over the top and some people expect you to pay 10% less than that price for their used one, which is crazy.

I also talked to one of the guys over at Alan Gordon on Wed. and was told they are going to introduce a new make of tripod and head within the next couple weeks. He claims, after a lot of research and testing, that they have found a make that will be imported that "is a notch above Cartoni" in quality and durability. The prices he was quoting made me suspicious since they were over half of what many of the others have for the weight rating and the carbon sticks. He said they will be the service center for this new make too, so that is a plus. It might be worth a serious look since they are backing them and have almost used type prices for something that is new.

The models might not work that you are talking about (the links dont work) I'd get something used and heavier to be safe. A new tripod for the kind of situation you are in isn't usually a good idea. You also need to estimate the total weight with the lenses you want to use later on. I'd look at something that can support up to 20lbs if I were you. You might add a monitor and extra battery later which will easily push it up there with another lens. And I doubt you'll learn much from the red group unless you have one of their cameras and need to figure out why it won't boot up or why it shuts off all the sudden. I've never seen such a mess of useless and misleading information.

You don't like the RED system? What did you find wrong with it?

Looks like i'll just have to buy a tripod for my current camera and worry about others down the line. I just wished i could find a decent used one for a decent price.