Friday Night Lights

I saw this film this week and all the hand held work made me a bit sick. It really made me feel uneasy throughout the entire film....there seemed to be no break from it.

And it was further bothered by the fact that at times the handheld combined with the long lenses and an AC who either did not have a clear view of exactly what was being shot or was a bit late on racks... made for some soft shots. All these things "pulled me out of the film" and made me focus on things other than the story.

About 90% of the time i liked the look (seemed like a bleach bypass) but a few times, again, the highlights were a bit too blown out to the point where they drew attention to themselves (something I am so afraid of when I use techniques like that).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I saw this film this week and all the hand held work made me a bit sick.  It really made me feel uneasy throughout the entire film....there seemed to be no break from it.

And it was further bothered by the fact that at times the handheld combined with the long lenses and an AC who either did not have a clear view of exactly what was being shot or was a bit late on racks... made for some soft shots.  All these things "pulled me out of the film" and made me focus on things other than the story.

About 90% of the time i liked the look (seemed like a bleach bypass) but a few times, again, the highlights were a bit too blown out to the point where they drew attention to themselves (something I am so afraid of when I use techniques like that).

I felt it was part of the overall design of the film- to give it that NFL Films/ documentary feel. For my money it worked but it was a bold approach, not for everyone.

I feel like it was a DI from the look of the titles. I was impressed by how monochromatic they went at night, at times it looked b/w. I was also blown away by just how deep they got the blacks.

I really enjoyed this film.

• Premium Member

I felt like I wasted my money by seeing this film. I could have watched an NFL Films presentation and gotten the same thing. The story was so thin.... If they had expanded on the story I might feel differently about it, but it was just too much football. And the football was shot way too tight. I guess my problem is that I like movies with more story and less action.