scenes files for sdx 900

Thomas Cousin

Hi !

I"m preparing a short film with panasonic sdx 900 and fujinon HD lenses. this is a first time for me with this camera, and a lot of excitment is coming with it.

i found at panasonic on the net the very interesting scene files, but i'm a little confused about it.

can these settings let me the latitude (in highlights, shadows and detail...) to work the pictures in post (for both video finish and blow up in 35mm) ? or, are these settings are intented to produce pictures meant to be shown as they are shot ?

anyone has the experience with these files ?

thank you

thomas

• Premium Member

Scene files are where you store the settings and adjustments that you've made to the picture, so you can access them quickly later. For example you could adjust the gamma and blacks for a low contrast look, then store that in scene file 1. Then you could crush the blacks for a high contrast look and store that in scene file 2. Then in the field you can recall these scene files and use them whenever you like.

You can set up the picture to look good on a monitor (to be shown as it's shot), and still manipulate that image in post. But if any picture information is clipped or crushed, it can't be recovered. Sometimes people set up the camera to capture as much information on tape as possible, so it can be color- and gamma-corrected later. When viewed on a monitor directly from the camera this image would be pretty dark and low-contrast looking. You can take either approach if the project will go out to film; there's no right or wrong way. It just depends on the amount of manipulation you intend to do and the look you're going for.

So more on point, once you make the image adjustments you intend to use, you can save those settings in a scene file. The SDX allows you to save several scene files in camera (five or so?), and several more on a removable SD card. With enough cards you could build an entire library of "looks."

• 3 weeks later...
So more on point, once you make the image adjustments you intend to use, you can save those settings in a scene file. The SDX allows you to save several scene files in camera (five or so?), and several more on a removable SD card. With enough cards you could build an entire library of "looks."

Hi,

You can store 4 scene files on the camera. The card (regardless of storage capacity) will store 8 files.

Jon