iPhone Camera Log?

Does anyone know of any web apps that have been written for the iPhone yet?

Maybe a camera log or a master camera report?

I know it would be folly to ask if someone has made a DOF calculator yet

That one would require some real programming.

I use the notepad sometimes to do a Commercial Master report, it works out well you can email it right from the notepad program to the producer or the lab and it CC's to my address as well. You have to turn the CC option on in the preferences.

Cool,

Thanks man

Jon,

I think the webapp thing should change soon, because they are now letting developers write apps now and soon you should be able to load them onto the phone itself.

You are in luck with the DOF calculator. Check out:

http://iphone.dofmaster.com.

There is also a footage calculator:

http://digitalrebellion.com/film_calc_mobile.xml

I have not seen any camera logs. Sorry.

Kevin Mastman

It really sucks with webapps on the iPhone though, you can't just load the app on there and use it whenever you want. You have to have wifi connection in order for it to work, rendering it useless in most remote locations.

if i'm using a letus extreme with nikon lenses, which choice do i use? the one for nikon dslr or a certain CoC? i have the letus set up to have a 35mm frame size by doing the piece of paper on the wall at 24" with a 50mm lense to frame up with...

if it's CoC, what's the formula for figuring that out?

thanks a lot!

I havent used the Letus, but I expect if your using a Nikon DSLR lens, I would use that one. I think it's 0.020 almost all Nikon DSLR are that, with the exception of the new d3 dont know what that would be.

Here is almost all you need to know about CoC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_confusion

if i'm using a letus extreme with nikon lenses, which choice do i use? the one for nikon dslr or a certain CoC? i have the letus set up to have a 35mm frame size by doing the piece of paper on the wall at 24" with a 50mm lense to frame up with...

if it's CoC, what's the formula for figuring that out?

thanks a lot!

• Premium Member
It really sucks with webapps on the iPhone though, you can't just load the app on there and use it whenever you want. You have to have wifi connection in order for it to work, rendering it useless in most remote locations.

True, but this will be rectified with the iPhone 2.0 upgrade due in June at WWDC. It then depends on the developers of those apps whether they offer their software to Apple - at this point, I can't see Apple objecting to offer apps being offered through their iTunes/App Store.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I keep a palm pilot with pcam/cine software on it in my belt. That software is amazing. I haven't been at this long enough to have my dofs memorized, so it's a lifesaver to be able to know the exact dof for any setup. I'm thinking of getting a sweatband type thing to velcro it to my arm like a wristwatch.

But I don't know about using an iphone on set though- my palm pilot now has a nasty gash through the screen, so an iphone would likely get scratched, damaged or dirty. Luckily I have an extra one standing by. And they were both free.

Anyway with the camera and lenses and all the poop you have to worry about, I'd wouldn't want to be worrying about damaging a $300 phone. I like to keep all my personal stuff turned off and out of my pockets so I can concentrate.

• 2 weeks later...

Just downloaded this, not a full review:

At first glance this iSee4k isn't bad software. It certainly fills a large gap until pCine/Cam arrive later this summer (?). I like the Data Storage calc, great reference. I don't know how useful this is to anyone not using a Red (the DOF-calc offers lens formats as 16 / 35 and "RED", so hypothetically other AC's can utilize this), but will put this to use as I'm starting my first Red feature Monday.

I'd like to compare its findings to other DOF charts, if only to sate my hyper-neurotic AC tendencies.

Since its free I'd suggest any iPhone-wielding AC to have a look, if only to work out practical ideas for the future generation of this, or any other, DOF software for the device.

• 2 weeks later...

I just used iseek4k on set last weekend and its great having DOF charts that are native to the phone and don't need internet.

Theres one thing I'm not sure of on how to use it though. If you are shooting at for example a bump over 4 or a split, how do you notate that in the f-stop field? It only lets you enter a number. Do you just estimate what that number is?

Also, in the distance field, is there a way to write in distances that aren't a whole number amount of feet (ex: 5,3)? Or do you have to figure out the decimal?

Thanks,

Kevin

In regards to aperture, you can input the stop by thirds (or your estimates for a "bump"), though you have to do the math before entering the aperture (for instance, you can't input 4 1/3, but you can input 4.5 -- remember, just because that f-stop isn't marked on the barrel doesn't mean its not there!).

As far as distances go, decimals replace ft/inches (5.5 = 5'6"). Wish that either one worked, but if you input 5'6", for instance, you'll get the reading for 5' and the rest will be ignored. Hope this is improved in the future.