Please Help loading NPR

Stephen Smith

Hi,

I am having trouble loading an eclair npr. I followed the instructions in the manual as to how one should load it, but when i attach the magazine to the camera, there is a horrible clicking noise, is this something to do with the loops not being formed correctly? has anyone experienced this. The camera has just returned from Les Bosher who said the magazines and camera were all working fine, so i assume it must be something to do with my film loading. Luckily i have just been practicing loading with leader at the moment so havent wasted any film, but im itching to test it.

Many thanks

First of all you have to make sure there is plenty of space for the film loop where it comes out and goes back into the magazine to be exposed by the gate (aperture plate). The NPR MANUAL says that 12 images worth of film should be slack and evenly distributed within the magazine. I think i've heard that if you want a quick and dirty check you can use two fingers width under the loop as a guide. Then you want to evenly push the film back into the magazine so the slack is on the inside and not the outside.

Also make sure your shutter control lever, (the switch on the left side of the camera under the viewfinder and near the inching knob) is pointing in the upper right position towards the MOTEUR RUN designation. When I first shot on my NPR I accidentally left it turned to the right towards the MIRROR REFLEX designation and it clicked like crazy. It took forever to figure out that I just needed to flip that switch back to the upward position.

I hope this helps.

• Premium Member
... there is a horrible clicking noise, ...

What does the practice film look like after this? Are the sprocket holes nicked or deformed in any way? If so, it's a loop problem. If not, it's most likely the motor/reflex lever that Scott mentioned.

-- J.S.

What does the practice film look like after this? Are the sprocket holes nicked or deformed in any way? If so, it's a loop problem. If not, it's most likely the motor/reflex lever that Scott mentioned.

-- J.S.

The Practice film looked alright afterwards. I've checked that the motor/reflex levrer was in the correct position. I tried loading it again, but with some old processed 16mm film. I went through ok so im wandering if the leader i'd been practicing with was too thin and the loop was being lost or something by the camera not being able to find the sprockets on it properly, maybe it was just being dragged through? anyway it seems to be ok now, thanks for the replies.

• Premium Member

Is it possible that the first practice film is old enough to be shrunken? Line it up perf to perf with the film that worked, and pull them tight together for an arm's length or more. Do the holes still line up at the far end?

-- J.S.

Is it possible that the first practice film is old enough to be shrunken? Line it up perf to perf with the film that worked, and pull them tight together for an arm's length or more. Do the holes still line up at the far end?

-- J.S.

If that wasn't it, I would say you are getting the hang of it. It usually takes me at least once to load an unfamiliar mag and get it right . . .

If that wasn't it, I would say you are getting the hang of it. It usually takes me at least once to load an unfamiliar mag and get it right . . .

Ah well today i borrowed some old 16mm film off someone to try loading it with and it went through fine, so i think it was a combination of the practice film i was using and just not being used to load the camera,

thanks for the replies.