what ratio is this ground glass?

Joshua Dannais

• Premium Member

It looks to me like a 1.85 with a 1.66 superimposed.

If you want to be super precise and check, shine a bright light through the eyepiece with the camera close to, parallel to, and focused on a wall. It will project the groundglass onto the wall large enough to comfortably measure. It's also the best way I know of to get really precise framing charts done in checkout, BTW.

Edited by Chris Keth

Namaste,

As I posted guessing it is 1.50:1 which will come to roughly equivalent of 14:9 and remembered the UK Dp ( location shooting in Nepal ) composing for 14:9 aspect ratio as he said most of the UK television stations demand for the composition within 14:9 as the safety for both the High def TV and 4:3 tv.

with best regards,

It's a copy of the old Aaton "Combi" screen. The outermost box is thw full 1.66 frame of Super-16. The two vertical lines inside that represent the cutoff of 1.33 for TV. The centerpoint cross is self explanatory. TV 16x9 (1.77) is so close to the 1.66 as not to be worth marking. It is an extremely slight cropping on the top & bottom, about two line thicknesses on the shown ground glass.