Exporting from I-movie to I-web

Rupe Whiteman

• Premium Member

Can you help?... I'm trying to mount some clips on to web pages. My original movie is a quicktime mp4 file in a 2.35:1 ratio. I've selected a couple of scenes to export from I-movie to I-web pages but when I do so it either crops the image to 16:9 or 4:3.... how do I preserve the original ratio and... any help on the (myriad of) quicktime/movie export settings from I-movie would be a great help too...

Thanks.

The best (and shittiest looking) thing I have found to do (and the easiest) is to first export your non 4:3 or 16x9 aspect ratio footage to NTSC letterboxed or 16x9 letterboxed. And then export for the web from there making sure there is no interlacing. It is not ideal, but it works. I don't know any other way. Maybe someone else here can educate us . . .

The problem is with iWeb and servers that want to show non 4:3 or 16x9 footage as either aspect ratio. So it ends up being reversed anamorphic converted or cropped after it uploads to the web when the original export from FCP looks fine. So it is not a problem with FCP as it is with the web apps not being able to handle non 4:3 or 16x9 footage correctly.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member

... I've worked out what I was doing wrong!.. the clip was being cropped when I moved it from the event library to the project library not when I tried to export the quicktime movie... problem solved...