Shooting on location, hotel rooming

Diana Fox

It's one of those random questions that I've always wanted to know but been afraid to ask. So, when big features film on location (from foreign countries to jungle etc.) & cast + crew = huge amount of people-- How do they put them all up? Do people get their own rooms ... that would be incredibly expensive... or do you have roomies? -If so, how do they work that out, by department or gender? Condos?

And finally... the trailers- reserved only for the stars and the big shots or do grips/other crew get one as well to relax in while waiting/down time? -I know there might be a better place to wait if thats all you're going to do, but what if it's bellow zero and snowing or something? Just some thoughts running through my head.

Edited by Diana Fox

• Premium Member

Most productions try to mix the crew with local hires as well as key crew members who are put up in hotels. Yes it does get expensive, and low-budget shows do sometimes put more than one person in a room.

There is rarely any "downtime" for general crew, certainly not enough to warrant production spending money on a trailer for them to "hang out." I have seen some pretty inventive hammock rigs in the back of a 5-ton, though...

• Premium Member

For longer jobs, sometimes production will rent apartments or houses instead of hotel rooms and have a few crew members share.

I always get my own trailer for every job I do. I just couldn't possibly work without one!

I was occasionally faced with productions that wanted my grip crew to double up in hotel rooms. Unless we were in such a remote location that there was no other alternative, I was always able to insist on single rooms. After all the time and intensity on set, each person really needs their own space. Plus, imagine the difficulties with showers, laundry on a longer location stay, etc.

As a general rule, the lower you're deemed to be on the totem pole (especially in production), the higher the likelihood that you may be asked to double up if the production is faced with that issue financially or logistically.

On my shoots I provide the crew with tents and sleeping bags, they pitch these in the woods near the shoot. I also supply an axe for cutting wood to build a fire, and a crossbow for hunting wild game, (no guns allowed here.)

All in all the crew has a great time "roughing" it. This saves a ton of money so that I can stay in a five star hotel.

R,

On my shoots I provide the crew with tents and sleeping bags, they pitch these in the woods near the shoot. I also supply an axe for cutting wood to build a fire, and a crossbow for hunting wild game, (no guns allowed here.)

All in all the crew has a great time "roughing" it. This saves a ton of money so that I can stay in a five star hotel.

R,

thanks lol

Edited by Diana Fox

R,

Believe it or not, I actually heard that happened (except for the hunting part) on a project last year! :blink: Naturally, all of those involved rang in at 25 yrs old and younger.