Life on Mars - Essay

Hi,

I'm doing a degree in broadcasting and I'm writing an essay based on Life on Mars.

Below is a list of the things I need to comment on.

I'm not asking anyone to write the essay for me, I'm just asking for some pointers. A few bits of information that I can elaborate on in the essay.

Thanks for any help.

Daniel.

-----------------------

Audience context: Is a particular audience identifiable through the product? How does the identified audience affect the construction of the product?

Commercial / industrial context: Is there a ?brand? that the product is part of and has been constructed within it or has it done something alternative to it? Is there an industrial context to the product (a way of making that it sits within) that has had an effect on the way it is perceived? Has it been made to ?jump on a bandwagon?, following on the tails of other successful similar products and catching their audience and their success?

Genre context: Does the product sit within a particular genre? How does it use/extend the codes and conventions of that genre? Is it a ?current? genre, or does the product re-invent or restore the genre to a new audience?

Narrative context: Does the product use narrative (and if so conventionally or unconventionally), and narrative codes and conventions? Is it non-narrative? How is it structured and to what affect?

-------------------------

Ok... something a little more straighforward.

I'm doing a survey, the question is:

'Do you feel that middle aged audiences can identify with 'Life on Mars' through nostalgia?'

A simple yes or no is great. anymore is a bonus.

thanks.

Edited by Daniel Ashley-Smith

The question furthered a little:

'Do you feel that middle aged audiences can identify with 'Life on Mars' through nostalgia? And has this had any affect on the ratings?'

cheers.

It was a bit trite wasn't it?

:rolleyes: