Letus Extreme questions.....

Henrik Edelbo

Hello There!

A couple of days ago I got my Letus Extreme 35mm adapter for my HVX200, and I have been doing some tests with it. Now I have a couple of questions that some of you guys can hopefully answer.

I have been working as a still photographer as well as dong video work for a living for the last couple of years, so I am used to using the Nikon lenses I am using for the adapter.

I have heard that f:5.6 is the lowest you can go with the Letus Extreme, regarding both the aperture of the adapted lens and the aperture in the camera. I know that this is because of the risk of seeing the grain in the GG of the adapter, but has any of you guys had any positive experiences closing the aperture any further? On the same note, using the gain in camera is supposed to be a NO NO too, has anyone used this creatively?

Regarding the focus, focusing on the camera viewfinder or LCD is way more difficult than in a regular still SLR, so if anyone has a formula for calculating the depth of field for a given f-stop, distance and focal length, it would be greatly appreciated. I know that this will vary with the quality of the lens, but still the ideal formula must exist.

Thanks. -Henrik

• 2 months later...
Guest Rodrigo Martins

Hi Henrik,

I have just recently started to study DOP adapters, but I am pretty sure that the deep of field is given by the added lens... The video camera is only capturing the projection of that lens on a ground glass. Therefore the charts you have to use are the ones of your Nikon lenses (that is photography charts). As for the focus of the canera it lies on the ground glass and stays there...