belgian cinematographers ?

Ger Leonard

As my first feature looks highly likely to receive substantial funding from Belgium, we are strongly considering a Belgian camera crew, as there would be a corresponding belgian spend. (they have an excellent tax deal there btw).

I have to admit I wasn't that familiar with current Belgian cinematographers. My initial thought was of the Dardenne Brothers but they work with Alain Marceon who is french (although perhaps he is belgian resident?). My film would share a certain sensibililty if not quite style. Benoit Debie (innocence, irreversible) is in prep for Marilyn Manson's first film (!!), and would most likely either by too busy or too expensive or both ( or perhaps not really right fit anyway)

The only other (living + working) Belgian DP i was vaguely familiar with is Yves Cape (flanders, and the new claire denis film White Material)

Since mentioning my search for a DP on another forum i've received a number of posts, one from the belgian Olan Bowland (blacksheep), whose work on their website is undoubtedly very impressive and warrants consideration.

Of course our belgian co-producers will be able to put forward suggestions (when deal further cemented at cannes), but I thought I'd try and pick a few brains here first.

You can check my other posts to get sense of what I'm looking to achieve.

(Alwin Kuchler's work with Lynne Ramsey's wonderful Ratcatcher is good reference)

(prefer this post to remain in this forum even if perhaps it may fall a little outside its boundaries)

Appreciate any thoughts.