16mm Kodak color reversal vs. Fuji 16MM Velvia

DavidSloan

• Premium Member

Fuji Velvia is no longer being offered for 35mm motion picture use, but it never was available in 16mm, for the same reason 5285 (Ektachrome 100D) is not sold in 16mm -- these are E6 stocks, and most 16mm color reversal machines are set-up for the old VNF process, which is being obsoleted. So I don't know what Kodak plans to do about the 16mm color reversal market now that they are dumping the VNF line -- get labs to build some 16mm E6 processors and then start selling their E6 stocks in 16mm?

Just beware that E6 reversal stocks are much more expensive than motion picture color negative stocks, and the processing costs are higher as well.

If I were you, I'd work backwards from finding a lab that handles 16mm color reversal and in what process, and THEN see what stocks are offered now.

I used one of the old 16mm VNF stocks for a cheap commercial meant to look like Chinese propaganda films of the 1960's (just making up a look, actually -- I have no idea what a 1960's Chinese propaganda color movie looks like...) since the VNF stocks are so soft & grainy that they feel like they are from a different era. This was almost a year ago though; I think Yale Labs did the processing.

The only one I've seen - it was a doc about railroads ansd locomotives - ideologically pretty neutral as I recall - was very good looking - it had a reversal quality, with an almost Technicolor look to the 16mm print. I think from late the sixties.

I have no idea whatsoever as to what it would have been shot on. I don't think they had the Technicolor machines at that time nor do I know if they ever made 16mm (or 17.5mm !) Technicolor prints.

-Sam

• Premium Member
Fuji Velvia is no longer being offered for 35mm motion picture use, but it never was available in 16mm, for the same reason 5285 (Ektachrome 100D) is not sold in 16mm -- these are E6 stocks, and most 16mm color reversal machines are set-up for the old VNF process, which is being obsoleted. So I don't know what Kodak plans to do about the 16mm color reversal market now that they are dumping the VNF line -- get labs to build some 16mm E6 processors and then start selling their E6 stocks in 16mm?

7285 has been available in 16mm since June 2004. A few labs may offer 16mm E-6 processing (AFAIK, Yale is one of them):

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN031304_Q.pdf

"Yes, Technicolor used to make 16mm dye transfer prints, maybe even 8mm, all from slitting 35mm rolls I believe, probably after printing. "

Yes but in China ? Anyway I think what I saw would predate the sale of Technicolor's stuff to China.

-Sam