A Wholesome Resume

Diana Matos

I am a recently graduated film student (having shot short films on 16/35/HD) and am interested in shadowing a Camera Op. and/or 1st AC. Knowing after all the reading I've done on this site, I should start by building a strong resume and working as a PA or loader if possible, since I have worked as a Camera PA on features in the past.

Working on this resume, I've realized that my experience in school compared to professional experience is about a 3:1 ratio, and therefore might not be enough. This might seem a bit strange, but bear with me...

On this resume should I include my experience in camera work while in school and then create a separate section for professional credits? Should I make a reel of the films I've shot? I've realized that I won't be close to becoming a cinematographer any time soon, but will this reel help the viewer understand my abilities?

Any opinion that you can give me would help.

Thanks a million,

Diana

Resumes don't really get jobs. Relationships do. So don't worry about it so much.

I would say it would be more important to figure out what you want to do. If you want to shoot then edit a reel together and shoot. Shoot everything and anything you can.

If you want to be a camera assistant and work your way up the camera department foodchain to and operator, then you can get a job as a loader or work at a rental house for a year or two.

Best

Tim

Perhaps this should be moved to here:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...hp?showforum=29

No matter what, just try to make it as easy to read as possible. No fancy fonts ect. I think you should do separate sections for separate job types. (Separating DP from Camera Loader etc.) Include anything you can -just make note of what was for a student film and what wasn't. However, try not to go overboard. "Dumb it down" if you have to.

• Premium Member

Quite honestly your experience in school is like saying you have none in the real world. It counts for litle. Work hard to get yourself on some real world gigs. Without it, a school heavy resume is trash worthy.

Quite honestly your experience in school is like saying you have none in the real world. It counts for litle. Work hard to get yourself on some real world gigs. Without it, a school heavy resume is trash worthy.

Thanks for your help, Walter. What should I do in the case that I am asked for a resume- should I provide a list consisting only of the little professional credits I have earned?

Diana

Put whatever relevant experience and eduction you have, if that mainly consists of films you've made at school then put them on there as well as any jobs you've done. As you gain more experience you can start to drop (or condense) some of the smaller jobs/films you've done from your resume.