Napolean Dynamite

• 1 month later...

There HAS to be a sequel. If the original people are all involved, it will be a boon.

We have to see Napoleon and Deb's first awkward date. We have to see Uncle

Rico's return to the year 2005/6, now that is girlfriend has come back to him. We

have to see a year of school with Pedro as student body president, driving Summer

Wheatley and the jocks crazy -- and no doubt his lack of understanding of separation

of church and state as he tries to install "holy santos" (idols of saints) in the hallways.

Kip and LahFawnduh's first year of marriage -- its WIDE open and almost impossible

to bungle, so long as they stay simple. That's what made ND so good. It was simple.

Clean. Innocent. Honest. When you've heard every obscenity in the world for many

years as "humor," some knock-kneed nerd saying "Decroded piece of crap!" and "Gosh!"

becomes side splittingly funny... again.

Im all for a sequel, if all the original people are involved.

"Is this an American humour thing? After reading the posts I checked out the website and watched a few of the clips. Left me absolutely stone cold. "

Yes my British friend it's an American humour thing. Consider that Americans can watch an episode of "Some Mothers Do Ave Em" and not laugh once. They don't even get Coronation Street in the USA!! Apparently a spoap opera that features ugly people does not appeal to Americans.

Only Canadians have the ability to understand and laugh at both American and British humour. We would laugh at Canadian humour as well, if there was any.

BTW, what's happening on Coronation Street right now? It airs six months behind in Canada. We are at the point where Todd just came out of the closet.

Richard

• Premium Member
Consider that Americans can watch an episode of "Some Mothers Do Ave Em" and not laugh once. 

Well for once I agree with them.

Little Britain rules.... because its so true.

I think part of the appeal comes from the fact that we all either:

A. Were that guy in highschool or

B. Knew that guy in highschool

It's a story just about everyone can relate to.

I noticed that the people that liked this movie were the kids who were geeks like Napolean, and the kids who hated it were jocks in high school.

A friend of mine (former jock) had a reaction similar to "Why would they make a movie about the guy I picked on?" (Evoking the pattern of guilt- but I'll leave that to the Freud Forum)

I think the general "niche" that this movie appealed to was the nostalgia of the 80s. Who else would plug moon boots and "trapper keepers"?

Concerning the sequel. I think it would be a bad idea. There's little chance they're going to get that ensemble back together. Even if they did, the rights have been bought by Fox, the script would stink and it wouldn't be consistent at all with the previous film. Remember Whistler from Blade?

God forbid, it become a TV show. Now THAT would be sick.. and cruel... and yet another sign of the end.

British humor: Some American's get it and love it...

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin -- genius

League of Gentlemen -- genius

Little Britain -- genius

Travesty is defined thusly this year: Adam Sandler playing the roll of ex-pro quarterback Paul Crewe (Burt Reynolds) in a remake of 'The Longest Yard'. Has it really come to this? When you can take a 5'5", whiney, Jewish shrimp like Sandler, and have him geek his way through such a roll and people BUY IT? What did they do, make him stand on boxes in every scene, or drop the rest of the cast down 2 feet into a ditch??? Who could believe this dork as a pro-quarterback?? There really should be some film judiciary that can rule over what classic films can and cannot be remade. Why didn't they just hand the script to Ben Stiller? Woulda' been the same result. I was even more shocked to hear Burt plays a cameo in this movie. Nothing is sacred. Anything for a buck. This has to be the worst movie ever made.

Kip: "Like anyone can even know that, Napoleon."

Edited by James Neff

Tony Brown....

"Well for once I agree with them.

Little Britain rules.... because its so true."

Are you saying "Some Mothers Do Ave Em" is NOT funny?

If so that's it for you mate! Hand in your British citizenship you are being deported to America!

Richard

PS: As for a sequel to Napoleon Dynamite, I can totally see it. With a budget of 400 million and Brad Pitt, Mel Gibson, and Spielberg as helmer.

• Premium Member

>>>Are you saying "Some Mothers Do Ave Em" is NOT funny?<<<

Not for anyone over 7 .... :P

>>>If so that's it for you mate! Hand in your British citizenship <<<

Wouldn't bother me for a second......

>>>you are being deported to America!<<<

No need to go that far, ok ok its funny :D

"Yes my British friend it's an American humour thing. Consider that Americans can watch an episode of "Some Mothers Do Ave Em" and not laugh once." They don't even get Coronation Street in the USA!!

Napolean Dynamite does have one thing in common with some British offerings; it seems to be funnier quoting lines from the show afterwards than it was watching the show initially. I've seen quite a few people who went through the show unaffected, yet laughed hilariously while recounting it to others. Better late than never I guess.

By the way, how's life up north since your days of producing and directing at CUSA down here?

Jon Miles

"By the way, how's life up north since your days of producing and directing at CUSA down here?

Jon Miles "

Jon,

I sent you an e-mail, let me know if you didn't get it.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 47 and I liked it, and my wife is 32 and she liked it.

I think maybe it's more a matter of how it was marketed brought in mostly under-30 'ers. Heavy MTV marketing, from what I hear (I got bored with MTV about 1986...).

Most people over 30 take a look at MTV, and think "I thought the "M" stood for MUSIC???. What's all THIS crap?" and turn to watch something else.

MP