Using negative film

Pavan Deep

I need some advice on using Vision 2 200 T in my Nizo 156, I know this is a tungsten film and that my camera would read it as 160 if the internal filter isn't in place. Can I use this film for filming in Dayliight and if I leavwe the cameras filter (85) in place what will the camera rautomatically read the film as?

Pav

I need some advice on using Vision 2 200 T in my Nizo 156, I know this is a tungsten film and that my camera would read it as 160 if the internal filter isn't in place. Can I use this film for filming in Dayliight and if I leavwe the cameras filter (85) in place what will the camera rautomatically read the film as?

Pav

Sorry I can't help with your specific camera's auto readings, but -

the internal filter does help (if not 100% correctly) to warm the image

negative always needs CC after telecine; the filter is not absolutely necessary

ditch the auto-exposure - look up and apply the "sunny 16" rule; negative has awesome latitude

HTH

Mitch

The Nizos are a complicated bunch when it comes to daylight-notched films, which is how Kodak notches (or technically, doesn't filter-notch) 200T.

If that Nizo is like the others, it will read the film at ASA 100-- it reads the speed notch as 160T/100D, and also detects the lack of a filter notch to set the meter to the lower 'daylight' ASA of 100.

In most cameras, this also disables the internal 85 filter. But silent Nizos can toggle back and forth to cancel out this protocol-- the way you do it is just slide the filter switch to the bulb, and not daylight, setting.

Not sure about this XL version, though. Others might know more about how it handles daylight films.

Easy solution: If you cut a filter notch, the camera will be set to ASA 160T-- that way you can use the internal filter without any concern about what the camera will do or not do. You will be guaranteed that the film will be metered at ASA 160 and the internal filter is available.

Even easier solution: That's good advice about the manual exposure technique. You don't even need the meter, really. This makes things easier.