FCP playback glitch

Keneu Luca

Here is a link to an FDNY video I made a little while back. Shot on 16mm. Transferred to miniDV. Not pro telecine, but one of those modified projectors with a ccd built in. Edited on FCP 4.

Visit My Website

When you watch the video you will notice sporadic horizontal streaks. I noticed this when I edited the footage. First I thought it was in the actual mini DV tape. But its not. Because when I would play back in the timeline, the glitches wouldnt always be in the same times or place within the footage.

Well, Im editing a new project now, and its happening again. And again, its not the mini DV tape. This does not happen when I play the tape through a mini DV camera onto a regular television.

So the problem is either with my FCP program, or in my computer.

Im guessing its either the video card or I dont have enough memory in my comp and my comp struggles with the video. Im leaning toward memory.

Also, when I speed up a clip, the frame rate percentage, it seems to happen more.

Any opinions?

Thank you.

Not sure? But I'll throw out a couple guesses. Field order was set the the wrong setting (odd/even), or it was something in how you handled interlacing / de-interlacing? Oh, or 23.96 vs 24 vs 29.97 vs 30fps maybe?

I liked the piece too, very cool.

Edited by Steve Wallace

Not sure? But I'll throw out a couple guesses. Field order was set the the wrong setting (odd/even), or it was something in how you handled interlacing / de-interlacing? Oh, or 23.96 vs 24 vs 29.97 vs 30fps maybe?

I liked the piece too, very cool.

Glad you enjoyed it. Thank you.

As far as it being an issue of interlacing/de-interlacing, or fps, wouldnt that result in a specific pattern of the glitch? I dont know how well you can see it in the FDNY video, but the problem is rather random. Same as in the project Im working on now.

I'll look into your suggestions.

If anyone has has anything else to offer, I appreciate it.