I will be attending NYU's film program in the fall, and just had a basic question about the film making process. Being someone who is just starting out, with a near non-exsistant budget, how many roles should I play in the film making process. I know I will be writing my own projects for the most part, directing, and editing. At what point should I start bringing in other people for my projects?

Sorry if this is a horribly basic question, but I just wanted to know how many "hats" I should be wearing as a beginner.

• Premium Member

when you need them, comes to mind.

The crew will change from project to project based on your needs, and that of the project. there's no real way to project for these things off of the top of our heads. You'll know when you need more people, though an obvious answer would be to bring in a shooter you trust whenever you really need to focus on acting, and always have extra eyes in the edit; just to help out/ give feedback.

when you need them, comes to mind.

The crew will change from project to project based on your needs, and that of the project. there's no real way to project for these things off of the top of our heads. You'll know when you need more people, though an obvious answer would be to bring in a shooter you trust whenever you really need to focus on acting, and always have extra eyes in the edit; just to help out/ give feedback.

Wow, the internet is a small world after all.... You also replied to my questions on the Myspace group. I guess I will just have to refer to you as Sensei from now on.