The Artist and hi/Her Tool

Tenolian Bell

• Premium Member
The money is a combination of my personal savings from past work, my occasional freelance gigs, and contributions from other members of our team, particularly my co-producer. Yes, I live at home with my parents during this interim and I'm not ashamed of that - I'm 27 :)

And you shouldn't be. You can't beat the free meals and free rent, right? ;)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'm not in the John Boorman camp of "improving the performance" by dubbing (I don't think he even does that as much now). I believe that an actor's voice is part of the moment of performance, just like their expression.

There is definitely something to be said about the difficulty of recalling a performance. My more professional actors have complained about that, and I understand them. But with the right amount of work we're able to get it all back. You just have to get into it again, which takes some time and repetition. I also think one of the mistakes that I started with was having them dub dailies versus a cut scene. Cut scenes have more flow to them, they play better so the actor can play better (although looser cuts are important so they can see the beginning of a word). When just dubbing dailies its all too easy to forget what the scene is about and where it's going.

I know that some sound recordists are excellent and real miracle makers, but there's usually a compromise somewhere when you need to deal with noise. I don't think even the best recordist could have gotten useable sound in many of our cases.

I think one of the nicest things about shooting MOS is the ability to use any camera you want. You could film with a DeVry Lunchbox if you were crazy enough to (the thought has crossed my mind, as a half serious joke...)

Richard Lester did use a Mitchell too for AHDN, but an MOS one - from the pictures I saw. I think it was a Mark II. He did shoot a lot of sync too, and that was done with the blimped Arri I believe. The MOS scenes in the train were all done with the Arri II, using a flat base motor. He had to have the big mag dubbers (which he used for reference) in the next car of the train!

- G.

George,

when a Konvas sounds like you decribed it, there's a good chance that is was not lubed properly. Even some camera techs think a Konvas does not need to be lubed regularely, but that's a myth.

The trick with the noise reduction is not to use a standard filter, but to have a few seconds of camera noise from the actual take. I did a small library of CoolEdit filters with the camera running in different surroundings, like inside a car, in an empty room - only with the right ambience the filtering can work properly. Certainly, it's a limited technique, but it works most of the time.

And the mags, well, that's the price you pay for the quick changes. Take off mag, shove in the next, it's a matter of seconds. Loading the mags has not always to be done on location, so I wouldn't mind if it takes a little longer.

Being used to the simpler Arri mags, I can understand that one has to get used to it, but one evening practising film loading while watching TV (don't look down, I said!) will cure that forever. :)

How to load the dreaded Konvas magazines

There are many pitfalls with every kind of vintage equipment, Arri, Konvas, Eyemo or wahtever. If you want it perfectly maintained, ready-to-shoot, rent a camera. If however you like getting to know your tool down to the last spring (in the Konvas pressure plate!), it is, like the Arri, a fine machine.

The only weak point is the motors, that's why I advise to buy more than one. :rolleyes: