Zeiss lenses

Just wondering if anyone has shot with Zeiss Planar T1.4 lenses combined with any other Zeiss lenses on a shoot. The reason being I may be on a multi-camera shoot with Photosonics and 435's. The Photosonics is bayonet mounted and comes with Planars and I'm thinking of using Ultra Primes on the other cameras. I am concerned with possible differences in quality between the two and wondering which lenses would match the best.

Can anybody help??

Thanks

Ben

• Premium Member
Just wondering if anyone has shot with Zeiss Planar T1.4 lenses combined with any other Zeiss lenses on a shoot. The reason being I may be on a multi-camera shoot with Photosonics and 435's. The Photosonics is bayonet mounted and comes with Planars and I'm thinking of using Ultra Primes on the other cameras. I am concerned with possible differences in quality between the two and wondering which lenses would match the best.

Can anybody help??

Thanks

Ben

Is the Photosonics being used primarily for high-speed shooting? If so, I wouldn't worry about how the lenses cut together. Besides, if there's no other option, the Zeiss 1.4s are still going to cut better with Ultra Primes than anything else you'll find in a bayonet mount. (with the possible exception of Zeiss standard T2.1 primes, which are possible but hard to find in a bayonet mount)

Thanks,

The Photosonics is being used for a few 300fps shots, it comes with a 50mm and 80mm Zeiss Planars, which are T1.4, the rest of the shoot will be on 435's with primes lenses - I was assuming Zeiss Ultras or Masters would be the obvious choices - is that what you would suggest?

Thanks,

ben

• Premium Member
Thanks,

The Photosonics is being used for a few 300fps shots, it comes with a 50mm and 80mm Zeiss Planars, which are T1.4, the rest of the shoot will be on 435's with primes lenses - I was assuming Zeiss Ultras or Masters would be the obvious choices - is that what you would suggest?

Thanks,

ben

You can't go wrong with either an Ultra or Master, depending on stop requirements. The combination of lenses you are considering should work out fine.

• Premium Member
Hi,

I recently used a modified 4ER (4ER+) that could shoot upto 425fps and had a PV or PL mount available. I used an Optimo 12 x zoom.

Stephen

Nice Stephen - over 400fps is something on a 'normal' 35mm camera. Where did you rent the camera? Any idea on who did the HS mod?

Thanks, and I hope your well.

Phil

You can't go wrong with either an Ultra or Master, depending on stop requirements. The combination of lenses you are considering should work out fine.

That's great to hear thanks very much!

• Premium Member
Nice Stephen - over 400fps is something on a 'normal' 35mm camera. Where did you rent the camera? Any idea on who did the HS mod?

Thanks, and I hope your well.

Phil

Hi Phil,

The Photosonics 4ER normally runs to 360 fps. Cine Magic modernized the camera, mine was rented from Panalight in Milan but I think there are 6 or so in Europe.

Here is the spec sheet from Cine Magic:-

The photosonic 4ER+

...was born during the cold war for military tests.

Our lady was reborn in 2004 at CineMagic.

It is a brand new camera modified to fit new technological needs:

? Every bearing in the camera and movement has been changed to bearings with higher speed and Apec ratings. It runs up to 425fps.

? The viewing system is new and unique (Swing-Over). It's bright and flexible.

? The PAL color video is new and by far surpasses what Photo-Sonics normally offers. It has a bright, shuttered video with a superb Playback System.

? Above all it has a S35 PL lens & PV mount, which allows the usage of modern hi performance lenses

Stephen

post-3524-1212694790.jpg