Coiled Cable vs. Empty Boom

Nick Norton

Trying to decide on a boom pole.

1st one, but i want it to be my last.

Was wondering what the real benefit of the internally coiled cable booms offered, other than convenience.

Anything to do with sound quality?

Also, if you were to get just the pole and separate xlr cable is the proper set up to just wind the cable around the extended boom to the recorder?

Thanks-

Nicholas

...Was wondering what the real benefit of the internally coiled cable booms offered, other than convenience.

Anything to do with sound quality?...

BIG plus for convenience, particularly with smaller crews where people have to multi task.

I am not aware of any quality issues, but having that cable coiled / run down the boom can be a real nuisance. Plus it is yet another place for stray noise to creep into the recording.. the sound of the cable rubbing against the boom pole.

• Premium Member

As Daniel said, a coiled cable is a big convenience. It's also a plus to have a side exit for the XLR, that one you linked to has a bottom exit. Length, nice and light at that length but theres going to come a time when you're going to need a lot longer pole

Well if i go with the K-Tek KE89cc for now, and get the K-SM shock mount linked here:

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/331126-REG/K_Tek_KSMS_K_SMS_Boompole_Shockmount.html)

and then the windshield adapter linked here:

(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292939-REG/K_Tek_K_WA_K_WA_Windshield_Adapter_Acessory.html)

Should i be good as far as having a reliable mount/ windshield setup to last me for a while?

I'd hate to buy a fishpole and then realize i need to upgrade in a short amount of time... and since i know nothing of poles/mounts i'm coming to you guys for help.

Last thing, is a mount compatible with most mics if it accepts mics 19 to 25mm in diameter?

Thanks again-

Nicholas

Was wondering what the real benefit of the internally coiled cable booms offered, other than convenience.

It's convenient to have a coiled cable boom. BUT at maximum length when the cable inside gets stretched, sometimes it swings inside the boom and hits the border, what produces ugly noises in fast movements.

A compromise is to let the back of the boom open and run a regular cable inside. Then you still have to rewind some spare length but you don't have to wind it around the boom.

With a little practice you'll handle a classic boom with outside cable nearly as fast as a boom with inside coil. I have done lots of fast jobs (ENG, Documentary etc.) with the classic set up and never had real problems. There are these rare moments when you're just one soundguy and your spare cable curls in a bizarre way around your feet, they say "action!" and you beg for something more convenient.

cheers, Bernhard

• Premium Member
Do you think 7.5' is long enough for a maximum length?

Thanks-

Nicholas

I would say 7.5 feet isn't even close to long enough, if it's your only boompole. Once you get a grip on the thing you're barely 5 feet from the action. The DP will curse you every day (whether silently or not depends on the DP;)) if he can't shoot wide shots.

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on your operator, if you're doing it go with what you're comfortable with, if someone else is going to be doing it check with them.

And yeah, with what Chris said, 7.5' is no where near long enough for a maximum length. Try to atleast double that if you can.