Can't we use different lenses in XL 1

Malik Sajid

No... but you can if you use a 35mm lens adaptor.

Some noteable adaptors include the Redrock Micro, Letus Extreme (link to your right), SG Pro, P+S Teknik and the Movietube.

If you wikipedia any of these, im sure you can get some good info as to how the adaptor actually works in principle.

Sorry, it wouldnt let me edit my post.

The XL series can mount other XL lenses of different focal lengths and zoom ratios, but whether the results are worth doing so when compared to cost is debatable. It can also accomodate the EF stills lenses when used with an additional adaptor, but i think it magnifies the focal length of any lens by 7.8X or something rediculous... you'll never get a wide angle shot with that!!!

Other than the XL series camera i cant think of any prosumer model DV camera with interchangable lenses (unless you step upto 1/2 or 2/3 inch chip cameras with ENG style lenses).

As i said... adaptors are probably the way to go.

wow... i couldnt find anything for 35mm adaptors on wiki.

Right well the function of the adaptor is to allow the use of 35mm cine and photography lenses with non 35mm based video equipment. Most of the adaptors attatch to the stock lens of the camera in use, and onto the front end you would attatch your 35mm lens. The light passing through the 35mm lens is projected onto an image plane, either a still or spinning piece of high quality glass, inside the adaptor. This image is then captured from the opposite side by the camera in use. It works in the same way as if you were to film a back projected cinema screen.

So yes, you can use your 85mm prime on your dv camera, but you would need a 35mm lens adaptor to do so.

Check out any of the manufacturers websites that i mentioned and they should give you an in depth description of how it all works.

No but i would say that a typical shoot with a small prosumer DV camera would probably not have an AC. It might, but the majority I've been on have not... most have a runner or two who helps out with the camera when needed.

The sudden addition of a lens adaptor adds time to the shoot, whether it be changing lenses, cleaning lenses, adjusting follow focus to fit lens gears, camera repositioning, back focus adjustment etc etc... it all adds time.

Surely the requirement of the good AC is there as a direct result of the additional time created by using an adaptor. The more and more toys and tricks we use, the more and more skilled people you need around in order to keep the work time down.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmmmm..............i got it now, thanks for the replys.

So is it a good practice in a zer0 budget student level projects to avail such adapters?

Skip the adapters. Simply punch in on a longer focal length for shallow DoF. You will have to be further back from the talent, but it looks pretty good on the XL1. Done it a million times and you wont be loosing light/quality especially on such an old camera.