depht of field

hi !! , I worked in a small feature film , pulling focus , with a HD sony 900 + the pro 35 + high speed lenses ... this pro35, was suposed to give you the "same" as If you were shooting in 35 mm ... before this job, I thought in HD I was going to have more DoF compared to 35 mm .. or more or less the same as 35 mm + film negative , if using the pro 35, ...

but when shooting , I felt a lot of difference in the DoF I was used to have when shooting with negative in 35 mm ... the lenses were perfect , the back focus also, but I had very little deph of field , compared to 35 mm negative shooting... an I wrong???? could this be posible?

• Premium Member

What f/ stops were you shooting? Perhaps, having gone to the 35 adapter, your DP chose to light to some very shallow stops. The DP's on your previous film shoots may have chosen deeper stops.

-- J.S.

if you were looking at it with an HD monitor on set, it's possible that you are noticing when soft much easier because of the resolution on set. it's easier to find your exact focus point when looking through a high res monitor, and freak out when you are off of that exact point in space, but still in acceptable focus. The theory of DOF relies entirely on what most agree to be acceptably sharp focus. However, a lens really only has one true focus point in space..but good luck keeping that spot on.