ATA Case Size for Modern Studio Skater Wheels?

Matthew Rogers

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could tell me the interior size for a case that fit the Modern Studio U-Channel Skater Wheels. The cases I've always worked with has a center plywood divider and the u-channels rotate 90o horizontally to fit in the case (so the case is wide, but not very tall.) If anyone knows where I could buy a pre-made case designed for them, that would be great. Otherwise, I am going to have one made here locally.

Thanks,

Matthew Rogers

Ouch. I believe I had seen that before. Surely I can have one made for less then that. I love it when cases for items cost as much or more then the actual item!

Matthew

Um, nope. Skate wheels generally cost in the area of about $1300 - $1500 (new). Only makes sense that you'd want/need something solid to transport these precision items in. Also, they are quite heavy together, get banged around a lot, and thus they need a heavy-duty case.

As for having one made, sure you can, for less than that. Will it be as good? Hard to say. You are paying for something extremely well built and rugged. Inset casters and solid wheels are difficult to do. Metal bracing around all corners is expensive. And they didn't just glue a piece of plywood in the center, I'm sure. To make one as exact, well thought out, and tough as that case, ... you might not actually be spending much less.

That being said, Losmandy makes a case for their porta-glides sleds, which I believe is much cheaper. It isn't quite as solidly-built, and I don't think it has wheels (very important on such and item! You will definitely want them), and I'm not sure if it can be used with other skateboard wheels (dimension-wise), but you might want to call them up and ask them.

Good luck :)

Edited by Daniel Wallens

Um, nope. Skate wheels generally cost in the area of about $1300 - $1500 (new). Only makes sense that you'd want/need something solid to transport these precision items in. Also, they are quite heavy together, get banged around a lot, and thus they need a heavy-duty case.

As for having one made, sure you can, for less than that. Will it be as good? Hard to say. You are paying for something extremely well built and rugged. Inset casters and solid wheels are difficult to do. Metal bracing around all corners is expensive. And they didn't just glue a piece of plywood in the center, I'm sure. To make one as exact, well thought out, and tough as that case, ... you might not actually be spending much less.

That being said, Losmandy makes a case for their porta-glides sleds, which I believe is much cheaper. It isn't quite as solidly-built, and I don't think it has wheels (very important on such and item! You will definitely want them), and I'm not sure if it can be used with other skateboard wheels (dimension-wise), but you might want to call them up and ask them.

Actually, I just bought a brand new set from Modern Studio for $993. Considering that the local case company is very reasonable and make cases for all sorts of much more delicate and harder to protect things, I am not worried about that. I looked at the case for the porta-glide and I think the issue with it is the only used 1/4" plywood. I will probably have it made with 1/2" plywood. If that still costs too much, I have a source for all the parts and I can make it myself for about $300 (that's because I already have a complete shop with tools)

I am positive that I can get a case made that will be as good if not better for less money. If you look at Matthews other stuff, it's overpriced when compared to Modern Studio, America Grip, or Norms.

Matthew

Wow, good price on the wheels, considering they list for $1325.00 and up (http://www.modernstudio.com/dollysaccessories.html). Do you have a connection, or a special discount or something? Or are they just being sold more cheaply locally? Regardless, kudos on the good find :)

Nothing special...just paid with a CC when I ordered. Both Modern and Norms give a 25% discount when you paid on order (or really on shipping.) I saved over $1600 on list price by that. Most of their gear is really reasonable (and actually cheaper then Norms) when you add the discount.

Matthew