Assembling a Demo Reel

Most of my work up till now has been through word of mouth, so I'd never properly put a reel together. But, times are getting leaner, so went through my material to attempt to put something together. As I mentioned earlier, I lack high quality transfers of a lot of my work, so here is footage based on early renders, 1-lights, and cheap DVD copies from Wolf Camera, but at least it's together. I could use feedback on it, so I know what I need to get set up for proper telecine next month.

• Premium Member

Sadly Nate, I couldn't see much either.

How are you getting your footage off of the DVDs in the first place? have you tried going directly from the DVD into a MiniDV camera set on VCR mode and recording onto that then dumping into an editor? Might help a good deal?

And again, youtube is horrid compression wise. I like Blip.tv where I can hotlink to the source .mov file if I want.

Sadly Nate, I couldn't see much either.

How are you getting your footage off of the DVDs in the first place? have you tried going directly from the DVD into a MiniDV camera set on VCR mode and recording onto that then dumping into an editor? Might help a good deal?

And again, youtube is horrid compression wise. I like Blip.tv where I can hotlink to the source .mov file if I want.

There are no DVD's to pull the footage off of to begin with. Some I had to pull off of youtube using capturing software, some I had a 1-light transfer to MiniDV. So, the compression + compression == not too hot. But, this is for composition, not for final compression. Still trying to secure a less compressed version of the footage with not much success.

*edit*

I'll upload a direct copy to my webspace in a bit, so hopefully it's a bit more clear than youtube.

Edited by Nate Downes

Ah sorry Nate, my mistake for not reading that over before.

Remember when digital was supposed to make our lives easier? Youtube is destroying my dreams.

it was to make our lives easier? I thought it was to attach a vacuum to our wallets and bleed us try...

I think it's a .avi file, which I can't view.

**checks, plays on Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, and a 1987 Amiga 2000 w/ 68040 accelerator...**

It's an avi using an mp4 compression codec, so should be pretty general for systems to play. I do have the ability to re-save it as a .mov or h264 as well if you'd rather.

**checks, plays on Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, and a 1987 Amiga 2000 w/ 68040 accelerator...**

It's an avi using an mp4 compression codec, so should be pretty general for systems to play. I do have the ability to re-save it as a .mov or h264 as well if you'd rather.

I was able to see it despite my Mac warning me a codec was missing. Some of the clips were heavily compressed, particularly the B/W footage at the middle. The low light horror footage towards the beginning (at this highly compressed rate) is something you may want to cut out. I would try the H.264 codec, see if that makes it any better.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

I was able to see it despite my Mac warning me a codec was missing. Some of the clips were heavily compressed, particularly the B/W footage at the middle. The low light horror footage towards the beginning (at this highly compressed rate) is something you may want to cut out. I would try the H.264 codec, see if that makes it any better.

Working on timing first, while I try and secure higher-quality sources from the directors. I already have a better copy of the B&W footage now, just need to insert it into place now. Still working on getting a better copy of Phobia (the low-light horror) now.

I am surprised tho that nobody's commented on the 1-light transfer footage (the building exploding and the running scene in the woods)