HPX 500 with Pro 35

Zillah Bowes

Has anyone shot the HPX 500 with a Pro 35 for film out? Or does anyone have any experience with this set up they could share? I am thinking of using it for a feature which needs a lightweight, compact, tapeless camera system!

I tested the camera and adaptor recently but was only able to view it projected digitally (albeit on an excellent HD projector). I thought the image rather soft looking. Does anyone know if it is possible to tweak the menu settings on the HPX so that the image is as sharp as possible? I am sure using the sharpest film lenses would assist as well.

Also has anyone any experience of setting lens files or white shading settings for this camera?

Many thanks in advance

Zillah Bowes

Cinematographer (London)

Actually detail on camera is a post process, and a very bad quality indeed....

So I suggest -7 detail aka no detail.

Add detail in post with your favorite software, you will realize that the detail addition in that way is much finner than the one in camera.

In order to see the focus in your viewfinder their is a viewfinder detail only (thats not recorded) its just for working the focusing.

Also you can use (when they are available) a Brevis35 or a Letus B4 relay with this adapters that are much sharper than Pro35.

I have made a relay which is available now for Brevis35, but it doesn't flip the image, its designed for bigger cameras that have scan reverse, like Varicam, HPX3000, F900R etc.