blue and green matte

i am an real amateur to cinematography...so please bear with me rolleyes.gif

for what purpose they are using the blue and green matte and why there are only these 2 colours available...if it is because of primary colour why they are not using a red matte???

cheers laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

• Premium Member
i am an real amateur to cinematography...so please bear with me rolleyes.gif

for what purpose they are using the blue and green matte and why there are only these 2 colours available...if it is because of primary colour why they are not using a red matte???

cheers laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Red can be used, but the main reason it isn't used more widely is because skin tone usually has a lot of red hue. Usually that is what you DON"T want to have go transparent, so we tend to go for colours that are further away from red. I have used red before on pack shots that have green and blue in the labeling.

Green tends to get used more with electronically acquired image, because of the way that video signals are or rather, have been processed in the past, especially when working in component colour space. The green channel tended to have less *compression* and was often encoded with the luminance or brightness information.

Blue tended to get used more with film originated images.

These *old* rules don't tend to apply so much any more, but green tends to be the de facto colour most VFX supervisors will ask for.

You also need to change your login to your first and last name as well.

jb

jb