FX1 Resolution Chart

chris

Could someone comment on the resolution of the camera please. It is resolution of a recorded image.

Also I learned that the GOP is 15 and the I frame varies in size from 150 to 500 MB. Large I frames are in scenes with lot of detail and min. motion.

The footage always looks excellent but when viewed frame by frame, footage with a lot of motion, with the small I frame, does not look as well as the large I frame footage, but when the footage is viewed at normal speed, no picture degradation can be seen.

The I frame compression varies from 4.7:1 to 15.7:1.

Are there posted resolution charts of other cameras anywhere? I mean charts of recorded charts, not straight from the camera.

What do you think of color fringing on the chart?

I read the resolution as about 850 lines vertical and about 640 horizontal.

When viewed on high end HD monitors, there is supposedly little difference between 1080i HDCAM and this camera.

Edited by chris

• Premium Member

Hi,

Well, it's pretty soft, there's some colour artifacts in moire. More or less what you'd expect. This is definitely a compressed image, off tape, althuogh with something that was presumably a static subject it mightn't make that much difference whether it was I or not.

> When viewed on high end HD monitors, there is supposedly little difference

> between 1080i HDCAM and this camera. Is that possible?

Oh, come on, what do you think? No.

Phil

Phil,

Thank you.

There were also reports that the E version, which records 50i, can be deinterlaced by DVfilm software and the image would be OK for filmout and would look OK on a theater screen. Is that true?

What is moire? I know it when I see it. I would just like to have a precise definition.

I see significant color fringing. I would like to know your opinion. Is the color fringing a lot worse than on pro HD?

If the image was deinterlaced properly, judging from the resolution chart, how would the footage look on a theater screen resolution-wise compared to Canon XL2 and Panasonic Varicam?

Looking at the chart, what resolution numbers do you read? Is it really 850Vx640H?

Is there any site with posted resolution charts of SD and HD cameras?

Edited by chris

• Premium Member

Hi,

> There were also reports that the E version, which records 50i, can be deinterlaced by DVfilm software

> and the image would be OK for filmout and would look OK on a theater screen. Is that true?

I dunno, I've never done it! Look, you have to stop expecting definitive answers to vague questions like "would look OK". I imagined it'd look OK. Not great; it's too compressed to look great. At the end of the day you can blow VHS up and project it and if if has an enticing enough story people will watch it. You can do what you like; it really depends what the project demands.

> What is moire?

Interference between two sets of nearly-parallel and nearly-evenly-spaced llines. You can often see it when walking past two identical bits of fence - light and dark patches run through as the vertical bars go in and out of alignment according to your position. Moire in video cameras occurs when fine detail, like the resolution test patches on that chart, interfere with the grid of the camera's CCD. Film, on the other hand, doesn't have a grid pattern, so it's immune from moire when projected - although you can get the same problem, of course, if you transfer to video.

> Is the color fringing a lot worse than on pro HD?

Yes.

> If the image was deinterlaced properly, judging from the resolution chart, how would the footage

> look on a theater screen resolution-wise compared to Canon XL2

Probably sharper, depending on the amount of motion in the scene. Really I'm guessing.

> and Panasonic Varicam?

Rotten. Guessing again.

> Looking at the chart, what resolution numbers do you read? Is it really 850Vx640H?

The tape format uses I-frame compression; the effective resolution will change from frame to frame depending on the content of the frame and the content of nearby frames. Numbers mean not a lot.

Phil