What would you pay?

Neema Sadeghi

• Premium Member
What would you pay for a Nizo 6080, that functions properly and comes with a matte box and filters and a case?

Since it's got the matte box, I would probably pay about $300-$400 for it. You can try charging more like some folks but it's doubtful you'll sell it on the first listing. I personally would pay $400 max for it WITH the matte box. It is a good camera that's ultra quiet for sync sound, is syncable through The Film Group, takes 200ft/Supermag 400, etc. It is no doubt an elite Super 8 camera. Just don't price it too high if you intend on selling it.

Since it's got the matte box, I would probably pay about $300-$400 for it. You can try charging more like some folks but it's doubtful you'll sell it on the first listing. I personally would pay $400 max for it WITH the matte box. It is a good camera that's ultra quiet for sync sound, is syncable through The Film Group, takes 200ft/Supermag 400, etc. It is no doubt an elite Super 8 camera. Just don't price it too high if you intend on selling it.

The only reason the Nizo 6080 (and the 4080/6040 as well) is quiet is because it is belt driven and that is a time bomb inside of it:

unless you open it and can judge the wear you have no idea when it is going to break on you wich is what happend to my 6080.

I have been looking for a belt everywhere for almost a year now ! It does not accept Supermag 400 unless big modifications are made

and since 200ft cartridges are a thing of the past you can only use any of the 50ft available out there. Also it was the last camera produced

by Nizo and the quality control was very bad then especialy if this 6080 has the UWL marker on the front lens. 300$ would be the top price

IMHO since the mat box is worth 100$. Good luck !

• Premium Member
IMHO since the mat box is worth 100$. Good luck !

I would pay $100 for the matte box anyday. If it's brand new, the matte box is worth closer to $150- $189. Honestly, I would love to have that matte box to put on the front of my Elmo 1012S-XL (most agree this is the second quiettest camera behind the Nizo 4-digit series.) I don't know how much stock I put in when people say camera X has bad quality control. I heard some people say that about Elmo but I've had no problems with my Elmo except that my Auto-Zoom toward the telephoto doesn't work but I don't care because I turn the ring manually anyway. I feel auto-zoom is a waste of batteries.

If you are right about the 6080 having bad craftsmanship then that is a shame to hear because the quietness of the camera + the specifications make it a real good camera on paper.

Yes on paper it has almost everything you could dream of back in the 70's. Long/short dissolves/fades. double exposure with the 200ft cartridge,

sound !, 12,162/3, 18, 24, 25, 36, 54 fps, auto/manual exposure, f1.4 opening, +1 back light correction and 1/3 increments possibiity. What else

man I cannot think of: just open the side panel and look inside; this is like a motherboard on a computer. Lens is OK, no more though.

But put a 200ft cart and a compendium and you look like Holywood my friend (on a budget !). :rolleyes:

Hi;

I agree about the 6080 perhaps suffering from bad quality control from Nizo during it's "end game". My own 6080 although 1st appearing flawless has a really dodgy eyepiece that vignettes at certain focal lengths (not a lens issue), it also just feels badly put together, compared to my 4080, a better choice personally for quiet camera shoots, as it has none of these problems. It's great to see this forum continuing to throw new light on some old myths like the 6080 being a "dream camera". If I could go back to the day I decided the late Nizo sound models were the best option for sound critical applications I would opt for a canon 1014XLS and a custom barney. Just my personal experience.

Rachel

• Premium Member
ls were the best option for sound critical applications I would opt for a canon 1014XLS and a custom barney.

I hope that is a good barney because the Canon 1014XL-S is a noisy tank of a camera. It has pretty good optics and the bulk that I love but the sound is not going to be dampened enough by a custom barney...at least not for indoor sync sound work.

I hope that is a good barney because the Canon 1014XL-S is a noisy tank of a camera. It has pretty good optics and the bulk that I love but the sound is not going to be dampened enough by a custom barney...at least not for indoor sync sound work.

Hi;

Hi Mathew, Sure it is audible (I have been using one lately) But I've decided a small amount of camera noise and a far more reliable camera with better optics as you say, amongst many other preferable highlights over the 6080 is my prefered choice now, especially when used in conjunction with audio cleaning software where camera noise can be further reduced if needed (although this needs to be done very subtly or voices etc can become too effected). This is simply my own findings after shooting super 8 weddings for a few years now, with many different camera combinations. It may be completely different for other shooters.

Rachel

When Nizo folded in the early 80s they went into receivership and all the stuff from the factory got dumped at very cheap prices-- most of the Nizos that found their way into the U.S. were from this source, because the 6080 never had an official American distributor when the company existed. So, it's no surprise that there are some dodgy late 6080s about.

But not all of them, and they can all be repaired and brought up to snuff. Not sure about the comparative merits of the different Schneider lens versions but the ones I've seen all look very good.

The belt should not be a problem-- they're still around and they can also be fabricated. What do the good repair people use for a replacement? There are all sorts of belt and o-ring sources so I think this is really not a problem.