Mattress Man Commercial

Joe Taylor

Just watched Punched Drunk Love . Does anybody know the story behind "Mattress Man Commerical?" Sure looks real and surprised Phillip Hoffman didn't bust his head apart. Guess maybe the guitar broke the fall between his face and asphalt.

What makes it seem a little fake is that only four people ran to his aid and they looked like the four greaseballs who work for his character.

If that fall was for real then it's probably the funniest thing I've seen this week. (Because he got up and walked it off.)

Just watched Punched Drunk Love . Does anybody know the story behind "Mattress Man Commerical?" Sure looks real and surprised Phillip Hoffman didn't bust his head apart. Guess maybe the guitar broke the fall between his face and asphalt.

What makes it seem a little fake is that only four people ran to his aid and they looked like the four greaseballs who work for his character.

If that fall was for real then it's probably the funniest thing I've seen this week. (Because he got up and walked it off.)

It's a direct spoof of something that actually happened. It looks pretty much the exact same as it did in PDL.

I worked on a movie with Phil Seymour Hoffman, and the only conversation I ever had with him (he's a fairly standoffish guy; at least the 5 months I saw him on this he was) was asking him about the Mattress Man commercial. (Im a PTA freak)

I said "How in the hell did you guys do that?? Was that you?"

All he said was "What are you nuts? I wouldnt do that! Paul's a very clever filmmaker, thats all I can say."

I donk know how they pulled it off either, man. It's ONE take, how could it not be him actually doing it? Ive watched it so many times. I wish he would have told me. That commercial is like the best thing Ive ever seen.

"Id say that's that, mattress man."

• 2 weeks later...
I donk know how they pulled it off either, man. It's ONE take, how could it not be him actually doing it? Ive watched it so many times. I wish he would have told me. That commercial is like the best thing Ive ever seen.

"Id say that's that, mattress man."

Yeah, well, watch the right side of the frame as he says "... twenty nine" just before jumping. What's that all about? And if you look closely you can see the guys mouth not moving at the very end of the line before the jump.

And notice the frame is locked before the jump and PSH is completely still just before the jump. Also, it looks like it was shot on VHS and the crappy video quality can help hide the deception. With rotoscoping anything is possible, and I think this is a combination of a little frame-by-frame work, editing, and some trial an error to get placement of PSH matched with the stuntman.

My guess is they slipped in the stuntman before the jump and then PSH right as the car stops rocking right after the fall.

Check this trickster video out too:

http://vidslib.com/index.php?view=1918091