Advice for cinematographers-in-Training?

Chris Keth

• Premium Member

Good evening. This is my first post here since I finally remembered my password. :)

I'm a second year student in the Rochester Institute of Technology's film production program. I'm persuing a craft track (our term for specializing in-) in cinematography. I have been learning an enormous amount but I wanted to see if I could soak up some wisdom from working professionals rather than teachers (no offense to my teachers, it's just another angle on things)

What have you found indispensible to you in your line of work?

Any suggested reading?

General dos and don'ts?

Methods that work/don't work?

I'm just looking for any and all gems of knowledge from anyone I can get them from :)

I've been reading here for a little bit and it seems like a really nice and knowledgeable bunch of people.

• Premium Member

Too broad, too many questions.

We've all suggested various books (many listed in the Bookstore section of this website) in the past; honesty, at some point you should just read all of them. There aren't THAT many books on cinematography after all, and half are not really meant to be read, they're just reference manuals to look up info inside.

I suggest finding out if your school's library has bound back-issues of "American Cinematographer" and read most of the 1970's issues (not front to back, just the interesting articles.) That decade of issues is crammed with info.

Most important thing in building a career is forming connections that lead to work. At an early stage, pretty much never turn anything down unless morally reprehensible. Meet as many people as you can, especially directors and producers, but also form contacts with equipment vendors, post houses, crews, etc.

Equally important is doing quality work, of course.

My main advice: keep a low financial overhead after graduation so you are free to work on projects that might not pay so well. And never stop learning.

• Premium Member

That's a good start, thanks. I expect that my school probably does have back issues of American Cinematographer. I'll look for them next time I'm near the library. I've been trying to read like crazy on the subject, as much as school allows me to, anyway.

I'm really looking forward to my next quarter's classes. I'm taking "Lighting for Movement" (just what it sounds like) and 16 Sync (my first class and experience in shooting film with sync sound).

Personally - I'd highly recommend any Focal Press books you can get your hands on re cinematography. Theory and Practice is a superb book. It really inspired me.

One other thing I'd say - with my pretty limited experience - is, as David said try to get as much work on set as possible even if it is for free, though never work for anything less than expenses! Also work with as many DP's as possible, I've worked with a few now and they were once again a huge inspiration to me! Ask them questions - though choose an apropriate time - and look keen! I was always told never to sit down on set because it looks bad and the time you take standing up you could have been somewhere else quicker.

After the shoot sit down with them and ask them questions, listen to thier philiosphies on thier work . Most DP's light differently, ask them why they light the way they do etc. If they love their job which most do they will be happy to talk for hours. I'd reccomend reading alot first though so you can hold together a resonable conversation, they'll respect you for that also. Also, if you have a wrap party or a drink after the shoot, sit down with and chat with as many people as poss, i.e. gaffer, camera op, production manager and producer, these could be potentially good contacts, Exchange numbers, a shoot is a great opertunity to find future work, don't waste it!

Do's and don'ts - The biggest no no I can think of is never cross a DP's lights during a take. You shouldn't be doing anything during a take anyway but it's best just to keep away from the lights I find.

One thing that amazed me about cinematography is the range of knowledge you must learn. You could be put off by it but instead think of it as a challenge. Cinematography is such a fascinating subject it's a pleasure to attempt to learn it. One thing as most people will tell you is that you never, ever stop learning, no shoot is the same. Also find a camera and practice in your spare time with lights, composition, exposure etc

And remember - all experience is good experience!

Guy

P.s. Hope this helps, I may have got a bit carried away!

P.p.s Your post would probably be better suited to the First time Filmmakers forum