Viper Footage File Format

Sandeep Kumar

Hi,

This is Sandeep from Bangalore,I am using the Viper camera for a fiction i am shooting.I need to know what file format would be best to store the footage.the studio my producer is dealing with has given the footage on .mov format and the footage looks bad and cannot be truly judged, i am looking for a high quality output from the camera.I have recorded on a D-2 tape,and the recording format on Viper was on 'Film Stream' mode 'High Definition' recording.

Looking Forward

Regards

Sandeep Kumar.

Edited by Sandeep Kumar

• Premium Member

What are you recording the camera's output onto, on the set? It uses dual-link HD-SDI to send out the image -- your choices are either to record to 10-bit 4:4:4 1080P HDCAM-SR videotape in Filmstream mode or to a data recorder. If you use a data recorder like Codex or S-Two, I guess the 10-bit 4:4:4 1080P video is recorded as files, maybe DPX.

But all the footage in Filmstream mode will have that low-con greenish LOG look until you color-correct it or put it through a LUT to make it gamma-corrected for monitor viewing.

D2 is a standard def (NTSC or PAL) interlaced-scan videotape format:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D2_%28video_format%29

What are you recording the camera's output onto, on the set? It uses dual-link HD-SDI to send out the image -- your choices are either to record to 10-bit 4:4:4 1080P HDCAM-SR videotape in Filmstream mode or to a data recorder. If you use a data recorder like Codex or S-Two, I guess the 10-bit 4:4:4 1080P video is recorded as files, maybe DPX.

But all the footage in Filmstream mode will have that low-con greenish LOG look until you color-correct it or put it through a LUT to make it gamma-corrected for monitor viewing.

D2 is a standard def (NTSC or PAL) interlaced-scan videotape format:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D2_%28video_format%29

Hi David,

Appreciate your reply,Thank You.

Regards

Sandeep Kumar.