How do you know what are network's "broadcast standards"?

• Premium Member

This is from a solicitation for bids on an editing job. It seems to me that the proposed job is described quite vaguely, e.g. could be HD or SD, yet to be determined show lengths.

Even still, is there a source for getting any given network's "TV standards"?

"I would like to have pricing to this client by end of business today, tomorrow morning at the latest, so would appreciate your timely response IF you have proper broadcast TV editing/graphics/sound experience and credentials.

"Please do not submit your resume/reel/pricing unless you are a broadcast tv offline or online editor with experience editing shows that air on TV, as TV standards are rigorous and require knowledge not only of how to cut a story together well but also how to meet strict sound + video (i.e., safe color saturation, brightness, audio levels, etc) standards of various TV networks.

Must know how to follow network guidelines for legal video/network standards for audio + video parameters as mentioned above.

Client does not know if it will be a 13 or 26 episode series yet, nor do they know if it will be a half-hour or full-hour format yet, nor have they decided on HD/SD yet so please quote both time lengths/formats + your cost per finished episode and/or the whole series.

Please provide enough information + detail so I can understand your pricing and process.

I will watch your reel and look at your client list/resume so please provide as well as your pricing. Expectation would be about 8 biz days - 2 weeks editing per episode. "

• Premium Member
This is from a solicitation for bids on an editing job. It seems to me that the proposed job is described quite vaguely, e.g. could be HD or SD, yet to be determined show lengths.

Even still, is there a source for getting any given network's "TV standards"?

HI Tim.

Generally each show will have a contract with a network, and as part of that they will list their delivery requirements. One i recall required delivery on DVCPRO 50, 30 seconds of clapper, stereo sound with Ch 2 dipping every 5 seconds etc....

Every broadcaster needs something slightly different, and some are more exacting than others. The Germans for example are notoriously difficult at passing a tech check.

I bet if you ring most of the networks, you'd be able to speak to someone in engineering and they could give you a basic list of what they require...

jb

• Premium Member
HI Tim.

Generally each show will have a contract with a network, and as part of that they will list their delivery requirements. One i recall required delivery on DVCPRO 50, 30 seconds of clapper, stereo sound with Ch 2 dipping every 5 seconds etc....

Every broadcaster needs something slightly different, and some are more exacting than others. The Germans for example are notoriously difficult at passing a tech check.

I bet if you ring most of the networks, you'd be able to speak to someone in engineering and they could give you a basic list of what they require...

jb

Thanks John. It would be good to know as much of that as I can anyway, besides this gig to

be more informed for future bids/discussions. I'll bet that some requirements may vary from

show to show occasionally even on the same network but it would be good (and interesting) to get

a ballpark idea.