updated REEL, short and sweet

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MikeCallahan

the buttons on the website could have loaded a little faster, which seemed odd since they are such small buttons. However, the site is simple and clean and it doesn't distract from the real meat of the site which is your reel.

ON to the REEL!

The very first shot, I don't know if you have it but, it would be nice to rack focus back to the subject.

I think your football footage is the best on your reel. But I'm glad you don't over play it. Nice Balance.

I think the shot in the car with the angry man, isn't an amazing display of motion or lighting, maybe replace it with a stronger shot. It's not a bad shot, it's just very regular. I think the ending it strong, I like the detail with the flowers on the exit.

the buttons on the website could have loaded a little faster, which seemed odd since they are such small buttons. However, the site is simple and clean and it doesn't distract from the real meat of the site which is your reel.

ON to the REEL!

The very first shot, I don't know if you have it but, it would be nice to rack focus back to the subject.

I think your football footage is the best on your reel. But I'm glad you don't over play it. Nice Balance.

I think the shot in the car with the angry man, isn't an amazing display of motion or lighting, maybe replace it with a stronger shot. It's not a bad shot, it's just very regular. I think the ending it strong, I like the detail with the flowers on the exit.

I'm sorry to say that your music maybe a little too good and powerful. It's very hard to visually compete with such inspirational and beautiful music. I felt like the song was carrying the visuals, not vice versa. Good song though!

Edited by Ryan Patrick OHara

• Premium Member

Oh Sigur Ros, very good band, but I agree perhaps not the "right," song for the reel.

As for the reel itself, I felt like I saw a bit too much football stuff, and some of it was amazing, and some kinda so so (some of the night shots just seem to fall off into darkness too quickly for my tastes). But all in all a good reel, but like almost all reels, could use a bit more tightening.

As for the site, works well for me, but I have one comment you might want to think about for the resume. . .

While it's perfectly valid to have it listed by format, e.g. feature/short etc, I just found it a bit confusing. It might be best to separate it, given how much work you have into Editor/DP/ and Cam/Elec Dept and then just go chronologically with say Film X, Short Film, Director of Photography, DVCam, 2005. Might just be a bit easier to navigate through for potential people to hire you (e.g. if they're looking for an AC they won't muddle through as many non AC credits, same for DP, or Key Grip).

Love the layout and colors of the site, though; elegant and minimalist.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh Sigur Ros, very good band, but I agree perhaps not the "right," song for the reel.

As for the reel itself, I felt like I saw a bit too much football stuff, and some of it was amazing, and some kinda so so (some of the night shots just seem to fall off into darkness too quickly for my tastes). But all in all a good reel, but like almost all reels, could use a bit more tightening.

As for the site, works well for me, but I have one comment you might want to think about for the resume. . .

While it's perfectly valid to have it listed by format, e.g. feature/short etc, I just found it a bit confusing. It might be best to separate it, given how much work you have into Editor/DP/ and Cam/Elec Dept and then just go chronologically with say Film X, Short Film, Director of Photography, DVCam, 2005. Might just be a bit easier to navigate through for potential people to hire you (e.g. if they're looking for an AC they won't muddle through as many non AC credits, same for DP, or Key Grip).

Love the layout and colors of the site, though; elegant and minimalist.

Thanks a bunch. Great Feedback, A new reel is in the works and ditto for helpful website hints. Sadly the website response isn't the same on all browsers, but decent.

-Daniel