Anamorphic and the Digital world

Landon D. Parks

I understand that you can't use a film lense with a prism (Unless you use a 35mm Lense adapter).... But I have always wondered why? What makes a video lense and Film lense so different that one works with a prism and one don't?  :unsure:

There is more to it than mechanical difference.

A lens manufacturer told me that to help focus the different wavelenghts of light all prisms for broadcast ccd cameras are designed with one face of the prism (for the blue channel ccd I think) with a slightly deeper backfocus point. (excuse the imprecise tech description)

Without this feature 70x and greater range zoom lenses would be nigh impossible to (back) focus all the wavelenghts... so I'm told.

Prisms have their place.

ie anyone for a 3 x 12.1 million pixel cam?

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member
Are they still oworking on the project, or did they abandon it?

IIRC, they were still in the game as of the tech retreat this February. They first approached me at NAB back around '97 or '98. I introduced them to Denny Clairmont and the ASC guys, and Denny hooked them up with Arriflex. What they had to start with was basically the KH-12/Hubble technology.

-- J.S.

Are they still oworking on the project, or did they abandon it?

There is some more information from Arri News:

"Together with Lockheed-Martin, an experimental CCD camera was developed and tested under demanding conditions. Featuring three 12 megapixel sensors, the camera was designed to show the upper limits of image quality as would be required to completely supersede the 35 mm film format. The set-up was able to demonstrate superior resolution and color reproduction, however, it also showed that the path to a compact and cost-effective production camera with appropriate storage media was not a short-term venture."

I was thinking that for the appropriate storage media they could use two SRW-1 VTRs (the one on top of the Genesis) for recording. The SRW-1 can record two video streams simultenaously (900Mbits/s!). They would only need to divide an 4K image into four 2K parts. The 12 megapixel sensor would give a sharp downsampled 4K image.

This is something you cannot easily do with the Dalsa camera. The Dalsa people say they need to store the original data because their de-Bayer processing is slower then realtime. The result is a big recorder.

But with 3 CCDs there is no need for de-Bayer, the SRW-1 can compress and store the video on tapes.

• Premium Member

Hi,

As previously mentioned, Filmlight have realtime 4K technology for playback and caching of self-rendered images but it isn't intended to be a recorder. However, it does use split-image techniques, horizontal stripes.

Phil