Quaternion math mean anything to you ? if so then I'd like some advice

Chris Millar

I would like to learn more about the math involved in both 3D and 2D graphics and how it is made into logic that PC's can handle.

First concentrating on the 2D - image analysis and manipulating for instance, is this all matrices/linear algebra ? Basically I'd like to be able to have a conceptual grasp on how image/moving image data is represented mathematically and then how to manipulate it.

3D is also a fascination, specifically the representation/sampling/modeling of real life in computers - spatial/temporal info and physics/kinematics for instance - for use in robotics/moco and the fusion between this and CGI - is this all calculus, and coordinate geometry ?

What topics am I really looking into ?

What have I missed out ?

I'm pretty good self learning outside of a classroom, any recommended books ?

thanks,

Chris

• Premium Member

Hello Chris,

This might not be the most productive forum for your questions. While we've got some remarkably sharp people who post here, the emphasis here is in cinematography and videography. Have you had difficulty finding graphics-math folks in the various and abundant computer forums?

Guest Glen Alexander
I would like to learn more about the math involved in both 3D and 2D graphics and how it is made into logic that PC's can handle.

look at the nvidia manual, it is all pixel based using basic geometry using the GPU fuction calls for speed.

First concentrating on the 2D - image analysis and manipulating for instance, is this all matrices/linear algebra ? Basically I'd like to be able to have a conceptual grasp on how image/moving image data is represented mathematically and then how to manipulate it.

sometimes, it depends on the data and the space.

for speed flatten the 3d space, hide lines and shapes that aren't visible for speed.

3D is also a fascination, specifically the representation/sampling/modeling of real life in computers - spatial/temporal info and physics/kinematics for instance - for use in robotics/moco and the fusion between this and CGI - is this all calculus, and coordinate geometry ?

no

What topics am I really looking into ?

look into Hilbert space and linear transform matrices and inversion.

quaternion math is only used if you need to a solution where the physics/equations of Hilbert space or rectilinear space break down.

What have I missed out ?

each GPU will utilize differing amounts of pipes, ram, processing of instructions. you need to look at the architecture of the chipset to know why they designed it for opengl, etc. true 3d structures are much tougher to display, rotate, convolve then simple 2d transforms.

head over to www.doom.org

Edited by Glen Alexander

Hello Chris,

This might not be the most productive forum for your questions. While we've got some remarkably sharp people who post here, the emphasis here is in cinematography and videography. Have you had difficulty finding graphics-math folks in the various and abundant computer forums?

I have posted similar questions in more relevant forums (well, one at least). The reason I posted here regardless is that cinematography and to a lesser extent still photography is the world I plan to apply what I learn.

One relevant application I see directly is video codecs/digital cinema, post effects and also motion control etc..

Glen, looks like you're much further down a path I may wander across or follow directly at some stage - doom.org - I'll have a look

• 3 weeks later...