How do most DP's start off in the industry? Is it as camera assistant? I know alot of them start off in theatre but I've been doing quite a bit of work as camera assistant recently on some short films- is that a good start? I don't have any other background in theatre or anything like that so I'm starting from the bottom really, though I am at uni. I'm managing to get work and study at the same time which is good I suppose. Any advice? Pretty general question I know. Should I keep doing the Camera assitant thing or try from a different direction to become a DP?

Cheers!

:ph34r:

• Premium Member

Camera assisting is fine for getting exposure to film shoots and learning, but at some point, anyone who wants to be a DP has to start shooting, whether for themselves or for others. I spent ten years just shooting my own projects before I was shooting for others, so by the time I was "offering" my services as a DP, I was experienced enough to convince some people I could do it. You need to build up experience as a DP and create a reel.

But everyone comes to it from different directions.

I regularly shoot my own stuff and normally light myself aswell. I think I need some experience shadowing a DP or something to make some progress. I'm in the process of getting hold of some lighting books at the moment.

Since my last shoot I've started to feel a little more confident lighting a set, but I'm fairly limited to what equipment I can get my hands on. Like you say though, if I can get some nicely lit films on my reel I can show people and go from there.

Thanks

Sounds like you know what you need to do. Try to work on films that have fewer scenes to light but really concentrate on lighting them. With faster stocks it is possible to do alot more with less heavy equipment. You might also do some personal projects that revolve around a certain type of lighting that you want to perfect.