transition from 7274 to 7217

Hello all,

I am planning a standard 16mm shoot, and I intend on using a 200 ASA stock for all night and tungsten scenes. In the past, I used 7274 with great success, overexposing roughly 1/2 a stop and getting excellent saturation and contrast. I would like to achieve a similar color and contrast scheme for the current production, and the possibility of significantly reduced grain with 7217 is tantalizing. However, I realize that using this stock would reduce the color saturation and contrast.

In your opinion(s), would overexposing by 3/4 stop or even a full stop in 7217 approximate the color saturation and contrast I obtained with 7274 when I overexposed by a half stop?

Mark

• Premium Member

Actually, while the grain reduction from 79 to 18 was significant, the improvement in the slower-speed stocks (12 and 17) are less so; this is obvious even in Kodak's own demo of the stocks. I've scrutinized the Kodak examples of the same scene shot in 74 and 17 and barely see any improvement. Slightly finer-grain, slightly less saturation. Yes, overexposing by 2/3 of a stop and printing down will help, but if this is for telecine-only, you can just do it with the color-correction.