BLACK/RED/... GOO

Hi,

I'm trapped in a sorry situation here; I've gotta make a bathtub full of BLACK goo/slime or simply BLACK water... however the actor jumps out of the tub and the water/goo runs off.

Is there any standard non-toxic concentrate which you guys know about that doesn't leave any permanent stains on the tub or the actor hair/body?

Thanks for your helpful input on previous posts. Here's the awkward one! =)

Cheers,

Efi

• Premium Member

I'm assuming you're doing this in @ a location? That being the case, you can mix a poop load of food coloring to make "black," but it wouldn't be very viscous, not really a good, more like a water; and will only really be "black," when in the tub. You'd have to test this out inasmuch as staining and the like goes, but it shouldn't be too too bad (if dilute enough) in the tub or on the person. Hair might be another issue, though. . . .

That is at least what comes to my mind. If you were on a set, then you can use olive oil again with food coloring to make it black/slimey, but that'd be a bitch to clean out of a tub, and you'd need a lot of it. . . . vegetable oil (cheaper) should also work.

I havn't done anything like this before, with a person, but I have used it for "black goo" going into a fishtank of water for an FX shot (the oil was interesting as it globbed at the bottom)

Fishtank sounds strange as well... this whole set up is driving me mad :(

Is there a website where these 'special effects' are organized? I've googled this issue and some fruits on youtube popped up with no info.

I know this is a peculiar request, but it'll be shot in a white studio...and I really should avoid spills on the 'wood' floor.

Cheerio, and STILL asking for input.

E.

FYI

I TESTED a variety of solubles in water and discovered that the best and cheapest non-toxic way is to is to buy 2x 150ml of guash black paint and solute in 50L of water.

FOR THE GOO, just use wallpaper glue (it's a soluble powder) and mix it in with the water and guash paint. For greater consistencies, add starch.

SO...thanks Adrian again for your post. Hope this helps anybody in the same dodgy mess I got myself in.

Cheers,

E.

One thing to also remember, when you are doing submersion tricks is to run through the process in your mind in absolute detail so you can visualise the total detailed out come.

In this situation make sure that the talent has ear plugs in and nose plugs too. Dyes and inks may be friendly on the skin but ear drums are not skin and may be suseptible to damage.

Any watery fluid will inevitably leave a slight stain on bare skin so try a light rub of infant or baby oil all over the body to make slightly water resistant and the coloured medium should come off easier during the bath exit. Your Pharmacist or drug store will guide you on this with their knowlege.

They can also suggest which type of colouring medium to safely use.

If you can shoot the talent submerging into the water and run this footage backwards in post then the effect can come out spectacular if done correctly. They will look like they are coming out completely dry and from a black ink too!

Hope this helps too.

Steven polanski

• 1 month later...