Special Edition Zenith Krasnogorsk-3M

Jian Cyrus Farhoumand

Hi Everyone,

This is something for all you K-3 fans, a very rare special edition called the K-3M. It's full title (as written on it) is "Zenith Krasnogorsk - 3M". Prior to this one I had never seen a Krasnogorsk-3 special edition. As soon as I laid eyes on this one though I snapped it up immediately and I'm pleased to say it arrived promptly and in perfect condition. Like the other Russian camera I bought (a Komvas-1M) this looks like it has NEVER been used. Everything is clear and clean from the lens to the gate. Looks like no film at all has ever been run through it and it still has that "new smell" to it.

I've run some junk film through it and it's coming out clean with no scratches. All the different frame rates seem to be working correctly to. Not sure about the internal light meter yet though as I don't have the special battery for it yet, but I use my own hand-held Sekonic anyway. I've also bought one of those super-16mm re-centering rings from the Ukraine as well as an M42 Mount-to-Nikon Lens adapter for use with my Nikon lenses. All I have to do now is take the gate out and have it machined to Super-16.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some photographs with you guys and show you what this baby looks like. Has anyone else ever seen one of these? The man who sold it to me (a camera seller in Spain) said he thinks very few of these were made. He even said it might have been a prototype rather than an official limited edition. I certainly had never seen one before. Anyone here know anything about it or its history?

Thanks.

Jian.

post-24772-1218486440.jpg

What's the serial number to give an idea of the year? First two digits indicates the year, correct?

The serial number is 900004. So that's 1990, right? But the normal K-3s were still manufactured even after this year, so I guess this one really must be some unusual edition then... ? Anyway, I love it! :P It's not too loud either. It's not quiet or anything, but it seems a little bit more self-blimped than the normal K-3 and it's "almost" sync soundable when I wrap it tight in a leather jacket.

Wasn't 1990 like the last year? That's what mine is. Maybe 1992?

But here's a clue to go on:

3M...makers of plastic (actually makers of EVERYTHING)...and that 3M is prominently displayed as a sort of LOGO.

Maybe a possible joint venture/investment deal with the 3M company that we all know and kind of love?

Me again:

I never saw that CCCP on a K-3 which indicates the OLD Soviet Union. So maybe it was meant for export elsewhere and they therefore identified the country of origin.

Does it have film loops/guides?

3M...makers of plastic (actually makers of EVERYTHING)...and that 3M is prominently displayed as a sort of LOGO.

Maybe a possible joint venture/investment deal with the 3M company that we all know and kind of love?

Hmmm, interesting. I'm not sure really though. I thought the "M" just meant "Modified" or "Special Edition", because in the Konvas range you get a similar thing like the KCP-1 (or KSR-1) and then the later KCP-1M (KSR-1M).

Nothing about this camera is particularly plastic. It might look it but actually it's all metal, even the logo part. The only part that's the plastic is the stock on shade at the end of the lens. It's really a very sturdy and well-built camera. I'll upload some more pics if you want a closer look.

Me again:

I never saw that CCCP on a K-3 which indicates the OLD Soviet Union. So maybe it was meant for export elsewhere and they therefore identified the country of origin.

Does it have film loops/guides?

Hello again Ira! Thank you for your interest. Yes, I think you must be right on that, the CCCP probably does indicate this was meant for overseas use. The Spanish seller I bought it from also said that he thought this was Zenith Krasnogorsk's attempt to update the K-3 so it would look more like a camcorder, in repsonse to all the domestic video cameras that had recently come onto the scene and become very popular at the time.

And yes, it does have the loop formers. Here's an interior shot:

post-24772-1218505044.jpg

Good point:

The "3" for the K-3, and the "M" for Modified. As long as you're sure that the Russian word for Modified starts with an M.

Also, I just used plastic as an example. As you know, 3M also made film, and every other artificial material known to man.

Yep--looks identical to mine. Aside from the outside skin, the styling of the controls, and the less circular protrusion for the upper reel, it's the same camera.

That exterior material in the way above shots looks way different to most though. Flat and smooth, as opposed to the rough texture.

Edited by Ira Ratner

Ohhh...

I just noticed the different cover latch.

Do you pull that to remove the cover? Or twist, like the others?

It twists the same way, it's just that the clip bit that you twist has to be pulled out first. I guess it's designed to fold away to make the surface of tha side of the camera that little bit more stream-line and modern-looking. (i.e. to look more like a camcorder, if the Spanish seller is to be believed.) But yeah I think it does generally have a slightly slicker feel to it than the original K-3. Just hope I don't damage it when i upgrade the gate to Super 16 as i guess parts for this baby might be quite rare! I'll upload some new pics as soon as I've upgraded the gate and stuck my Nikon adapter and the re-centering ring on it. Can't wait to shoot some actual film with it! How's your one coming along? You shot anything yet?

Haven't shot anything yet because I'm scared to death and taking my time like you wouldn't BELIEVE. Tomorrow, I'm ordering the battery conversion thingy for 30 bucks plus from New York, my old home town. Which means they'll probably screw me.

Mine is also like mint with that smell--there's not even a drop of dust in it and looks totally brand new.

I'm going to test with a 100' roll of Plus-X, 100' of Ektachrome, and 100' of Spectra Film's (Hollywood, CA) High Contrast b&w, ASA of SIX. I can't see "wasting" the money to test with Tri-X, because I know what that stuff is like from 35mm still work. Yeah, I'll use it in the future, but for testing, I want the lower ASAs and finer grain. And in South Florida, no light problems (usually) shooting outdoors.

But although my in-camera meter will be working, I want to shoot with a hand-held as well, to at least make the comparisons. So...something ELSE to buy, but I just don't know which meter to buy, and how it relates to film.

I want a meter that will give me a good subject reading from the camera position without having to walk over and take incidental readings. The thing is, if I just use the camera's built-in meter and then see that it's fine--then everything is just great. Or if it's off by a half-stop, I'll know to make that correction in the future without having to buy a separate meter!

Haven't shot anything yet because I'm scared to death and taking my time like you wouldn't BELIEVE. Tomorrow, I'm ordering the battery conversion thingy for 30 bucks plus from New York, my old home town. Which means they'll probably screw me.

Mine is also like mint with that smell--there's not even a drop of dust in it and looks totally brand new.

I'm going to test with a 100' roll of Plus-X, 100' of Ektachrome, and 100' of Spectra Film's (Hollywood, CA) High Contrast b&w, ASA of SIX. I can't see "wasting" the money to test with Tri-X, because I know what that stuff is like from 35mm still work. Yeah, I'll use it in the future, but for testing, I want the lower ASAs and finer grain. And in South Florida, no light problems (usually) shooting outdoors.

But although my in-camera meter will be working, I want to shoot with a hand-held as well, to at least make the comparisons. So...something ELSE to buy, but I just don't know which meter to buy, and how it relates to film.

I want a meter that will give me a good subject reading from the camera position without having to walk over and take incidental readings. The thing is, if I just use the camera's built-in meter and then see that it's fine--then everything is just great. Or if it's off by a half-stop, I'll know to make that correction in the future without having to buy a separate meter!

Yeah I need to get one of those battery adapters too. I'm not too fussed right now though about the internal light meter because I actually prefer using a hand-held one. I have a Goseen LunaSix (or LunaPro, depending on which side of the pond you're on) and a digital Sekonic L-308S. Both are great, accurate and compact. I recommend them. Sounds like you want a spot meter though I guess, if you don't want to take incidental readings, but that'll cost more.

Let me know when you've shot something with your K-3, I'd be interested to see it.

Good luck!

That's an interesting find. Thanks for sharing!

I'd love to hear how it goes with the re-centering ring as I've been considering one. Keep us updated on your progress if you have time.

Will do. The re-centering ring has already arrived so I could actually attach it now but I'm waiting to get my gate back from my brother-in-law who is having it machined to super-16. Once I have the gate I'll assemble the whole thing, complete with m42-Nikon adapter and a fat Nikon lens and upload some pics for you guys. I'm quite excited about seeing it when it's all pimped out and finally getting to shoot some film with this puppy!

Jian, I've rarely used spot meters for still work. Your reading is going to totally depend on exactly what you point that little circle at, and even for still, it just doesn't work for stuff you're setting up and controlling with additional artificial lighting. Yeah, if you're trying to shoot a woodpecker in a tree with a long telephoto or a pretty girl at the nude beach, that's fine--because you're only metering to get THEM right. (Hopefully you get the girl right and not the woodpecker.)

And I've used incidental, but what a pain going from camera position to subject position to do that. For fashion/glamour stuff with soft bounce lighting, yeah.

So......

A meter is a pretty simple animal. I'm assuming that the K-3 is a scene averaging TTL meter, although I've read NOTHING about its characteristics anywhere. A meter could be averaging, but still center-weighted, whereby it takes its directions from a circle half the diameter of the frame. Or 1/3rd, etc.

As long as it's working, and I do my test rolls, I'll figure out how to tweak it for best exposure.

It's even "easier" to figure out exposure with our K-3s, because all we have to adjust is the aperature. We're locked into the shutter speed anyway depending on FPS.

I am EXTREMELY interested in your move to Super though, because I heard this ain't no easy modification. I myself plan to be the guinea pig for a whopping $500 investment to convert mine to motorized crystal sync, with that new and cool unit which that Danish company will be offering soon.

CHRISTMAS IS COMING UP, YOU KNOW!?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

It's just a custom modification of Krasnogorsk-1, repainted, and rebuilded with K-3 parts. Made by someone. People from Красногорский Механический Завод (KMZ) are telling, that they never did such thing. So, that's just a modding. And btw - the russian word for "Modified" is "Модифицированный" ;)

Edited by Cyril ViXP