Shooting with Two Reds

Frank Barrera

• Premium Member

Hi all. I'm in prep for a feature and the idea is to run with two Reds. Mostly we will be shooting them stacked side by side getting double coverage ie: Wide and Tight.

My main question is is there a need to "match" these cameras? or is "RAW" just "RAW" and you match them in post? I'm sitting down with the Post Sup tonight but would like some input from other shooters who have handled multi cam RED material.

thanks much

f

• Premium Member

Raw is just Raw. You might test a few bodies to find a pair that are close. Look at what David Mullen wrote under "In Production" on his "Manure" shoot. He had one body that didn't match the others, but the rest were close together IIRC.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Thanks guys. I will shoot the Macbeth chart at the check out and periodically throughout the shoot as we change major lighting set ups.

i will report back if anything interesting happens.

f

• Premium Member

The one place I can see that there might be a little variation is in the mechanical alignment of the Bayer mask to the silicon. There might be some difference between chips, but it would be a lifelong constant for each chip. Side by side testing a bunch of them would reveal whether this is significant or not.

-- J.S.